Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/14 09:46
ŠF‚³‚ñAŒ³‹CHOO

I'm thinking of going to Japan with a REALLY low budget, sleeping at internet cafes if necessary, capsule hotels, etc.

So, if I land at Kansai International, what would you do next? is there any recommendation you could give me?
I think I should avoid big cities like Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, etc. (Really high prices and I have already visited them)

I have been to Japan before and I speak intermediate Japanese, where do you think I could have fun for 2 weeks ?

I thought of going to Mie or Okayama, but of course I don't know what I can do with a really low budget.

What do you think? Any cheap prefecture where I can enjoy nature or at least "free" places to visit? Anything will help ^^

–{“–‚É‚ ‚肪‚Æ‚¤‚²‚´‚¢‚Ü‚·`
by OishiiUdon (guest)  

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/14 11:57
The least expensive place I could find would involve using the Nankai Airport Express to get to Shinimamiya Station in Osaka. There are some budget hotels that have small rooms with only a bed and a TV in them for about 2200 yen/night. The Nankai Airport express is 890 yen each way.

Shinimamiya is on the Osaka Loop, and if you really wanted to get to Mie, you can take the loop to Tsuruhashi Station and catch a Kintetsu train to Mie. I didn't find any low cost places in Mie.

The Kintstsu Wide area pass contains two transfers on the Nankai Airport Express that can be used outside of the 5 days that the Kintetsu pass is active. I think it's a bargan at 5700 yen.

The train ride to Iseshi in Mie is less than two hours, so it is possible to visit Mie as a day trip. You could also visit Kyoto, Nagoya, and Nara as day trips.

You would be limited to three rides on limited express trains. It is also possible to get a second "normal" Kensei Pass for 3700 yen, and get a secodn 5 days of travel. I don't know how many days you are going to be in Japan, but if it is say two weeks, you could do the following:
Use two limited express rides on the first pass for a day trip.
Use the final ride to change locations and stay several days.
Use two limited express ride for a second day trip.
Use the final ride to get back to Osaka.

So, get a Kintetsu Wide area pass, and a Icoca Card, and stay in Osaka,

This may not be what you want, but it is low in cost.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/14 12:10
What are your interests and how low is your budget? Also, consider that finding low budget accommodation and food tends to be EASIER around the bigger, more popular cities due to to the increased number of options, but if you've already visited Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo then that may be reason enough to avoid them this time around.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/14 18:03
If you happen to go to Shikoku, this place in Matsuyama is very cheap http://www.sophia-club.net/guesthouse/gh_info.html

Other than that, people are often recommending couchsurfing https://www.couchsurfing.org/

I don't know if you're travelling in a warmer season or not, but camping is an option too.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/14 19:36
Thank you very much!

All of this information is extremely helpful :)

I didn't say how many days I will be there because that depends on how much I spend, and I don't have a fixed budget because I simply need to spend as less as possible! hahaha I know it's quite crazy but last time I went to Japan I spent so much that I want to experience the other side now :)

Again, thank you very much for your kind replies ^^
by OishiiUdon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/15 00:00
Presuming that from your guest name you're a fan of delicious udon, if you go to Shikoku, you must eat lots of sanuki udon. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5408.html
We each had a huge bowl of it at Shikoku Mura before catching the ferry to Shodoshima. Thinking about it has made me hungry..... mmm.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/15 03:34
"I didn't say how many days I will be there because that depends on how much I spend"

Aren't you supposed to have a return ticket with fixed dates? or do you travel standby? Then you need to have enough funds just in case you can't go on a plane as schedule and have to say a few more days.
Of course one can always get money from an ATM..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/15 09:33
I do not believe that OishiiUdon has purchased tickets yet, and is in the finance stage, trying to figure out how long can one stay with XYZ yen.

I personal budget for Japan is 10,000-12,000 yen/day, but I think OishiiUdon wants to be at at most half that.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/15 10:06
At a minimum I would budget around 3000-5000 yen per day assuming you stay in one city and stick mainly to free attractions. If you are staying outside the major city centers then I would consider INCREASING your minimum daily budget as low budget options are less available and travel can become proportionally more expensive.

What do you think? Any cheap prefecture where I can enjoy nature or at least "free" places to visit?

Surprisingly, my first thoughts went to Osaka since they have some really, really cheap day worker lodgings and it is pretty cheap to travel around the region from there.

Another things to consider are to use night buses for long distance travel (or the Japan Bus Pass)

Re: Landing at Kansai International, what next? 2013/8/15 10:07
also, have you seen this page?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html

reply to this thread