Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 01:12
Hi,
I have been trying to figure out how it works sending your luggage from either a hotel or a takuhaibin (sorry for spelling) service station to a non-hotel destination. I will not be staying at a hotel at my destination. Probably will stay at one of the Khaosan Hostels in Tokyo, but I am unsure if the luggage will be handled the same way as by a hotel like Toyoko Inn for instance or if they just put the luggage in the lobby for anyone to see and take.

Since I will not arrive until some days after the estimated arrival of my luggage that would be plenty of time for the luggage to "disappear" at the hostel. I am not sure how much to trust them and they wont reply to my e-mail questions either.

I heard you can send to a nearby convenience store instead, how reliable and safe is that? I do not carry any valuble items in the luggage but I would not want to bother buying a new bag if someone stole it or something.
by Nisse (guest)  

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 15:50
Need more travel details info dates/time,AP,Hotels and Non-hotels names.
by 7e (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 16:42
I wondered what you mean by "non hotels" - so you mean "hostels" :)

For staying guests, particularly those in dormitory rooms, Khaosan Hotels have coin-operated (but free of charge) lockers. One of the Khaosan locations explicitly says they will keep luggage before/after check-in/out (free of charge), or from 8 am to 8 pm, but I guess that would mean "for the day." A few of the locations show photos of their coin-operated lockers, but they don't have that many. Also one locations shows lockers as well as simple luggage racks, where backpacks are placed. While incoming/outgoing traffic would be monitored by the reception, I don't know if it is checked closely. Please check the photos in their websites.

Even with hotels, actually, sending luggage some days ahead sounds like a lot to ask - unless it is 3 or 4 star hotels, which chain business hotels are not. But if you stay at a hotel for a few days, and go on a short trip away, and return again to the same hotel, they are likely to accommodate you :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 18:47
You can specify the delivery time. Why not have the luggage delivered at the hostel after your estimated check-in time. The takuhaibin company will store it until the delivery.
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 22:50
7e,
Why do you need such information? Why can't I ask a general question?

What I mean by "non hotel" is hostel yes. It was the first that appeared in my head.

So it is possible to set a delivery time and date? Does it apply for all transport companies? No extra fee for that?
by Nisse (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 23:48
You can send a suitcase from convenience stores such as 7-11(Yamato-Kuroneko service), Lawson(JP service), Circle K Sunkus(Yamato-Kuroneko), Mini-stop(JP) for 24 hours/7days a week. But unable to receive the suitcase at convenience stores.

You can also state your prefer date and time of delivery with free of charge.

The hostels normally allow & keep your suitcase the day of your arrival or one day before max. You need to clearly state and write your full name, the date of your arrival on your suitcase. They will just leave in the lobby, will not deliver to your room.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Takuhaibin service to non-hotels 2013/8/15 23:59
I stayed at hostels all across Japan when I was there in July and all of them have luggage storage. In most cases, I did not see a lock on the room, but the rooms I saw had doors and they are usually close to the hostel desks so people can't just wander in and randomly grab a bag.

In my case, I did have my stuff sent by Yamato from Osaka to Tokyo, and when I arrived at my hostel, they had my luggage locked in a seperate room. You can also put a lock on your luggage to prevent theft of items from it.

However, I think the root of the problem here is that you are concerned about the level of safety. Japan is VERY safe. I was there for 2 weeks, by myself, traveling from place to place and I did not run into a single issue once. I found more people willing to help without question than I did people who were acting suspiciously. In fact, I've found Japan to feel safer than the city I'm currently living in!

I don't think you have much to be concerned about, but it's one of those things that you won't know until you experience it for yourself.
by Amyranth (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread