Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/20 20:06
I will be visiting Tokyo for the first time in September and my biggest concern is the traditional style toilets requiring you to squat to use them. I have an old football injury that left me with a bumb knee and I can no longer squat. I will be staying in a western style hotel so I don't have to worry about that bit, but when walking around or traveling are there western style public restrooms?
by Revan00  

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 08:29
It is very difficult these days to come across a public toilet in Tokyo these days that does not offer at least one Western style toilet. To the opposite: it is almost more difficult to find Japanese style toilets these days, especially in modern buildings, such as department stores and recently renovated stations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 08:51
be careful of small and old bars. They might have an old one. Except that - no worries.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 12:10
Your best plan is to go to the larger Department stores, I have never had a problem finding western toilets there. Also any International Hotel usually has a western toilet in their lobby or bar/lounge areas.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 14:09
No worries unless you go off to remote areas. Hotels/ryokans/restaurant have western style but more high tech that may confuse you at first with all the bells & whistles. Worry more about no paper towels, air dryer or toilet papers in the public restrooms(though fully supplied & well maintained for the disabled).
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 17:52
The public toilets in cafes, family restaurants, fast food restaurants and department stores are usually almost all western style. Some smaller train and subway stations might only have Japanese style, but as above there is usually at least one western style.
by Kessaku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 18:06
Newer convenience stores are another good option. They are rather plentiful and tend to have clean, western style toilets.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 18:09
you don't actually see classic japanese style toilets these days unless you are travelling very very country side. Japanese pupils at school even unable to use classic style toilets these days(I can do!).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/21 23:45
Maybe Yamagata is different from Kanto. The schools here use washiki but have at least one western-style toilet. At the Yamagata branch of the Eikaiwa I work for, no western toilet, only washiki. At the Tendo branch (where I work primarily) we have a western style. At some of the parks here, washiki.

I like visiting Tokyo...rare to come across a Japanese style toilet.
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/30 00:17
I thought guys don't have to squat. At least, not always.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/30 09:39
Japanese pupils at school even unable to use classic style toilets these days(I can do!).

Maybe in Tokyo, but in most prefectures only the newest schools have western style toilets. Either way this won't be an issue to the average tourist.

I thought guys don't have to squat. At least, not always.

Haha, yea but we usually visit the urinal for the other thing. You can bet that if we're visiting the toilet, 9 times out of 10 squatting/sitting will be required ;)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks 2013/8/30 23:37
Well, I'll be damned.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Restrooms in Japan 2013/8/31 01:22
After reading this, I noticed that even some subway stations in Tokyo have a western style toilet among several rooms. I thought they are all the same style though.
In this case, the doors have sign of its style.
So I'll not give up and try to search for it, thank you!
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread