Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Appropriate wedding gift for japanese 2013/8/23 17:11
Hi, I would like to ask what will be the appropriate gift options in mind to send to one of the longest Japanese client's son and also on behalf of company? Will it be good to send tea pot and tea sets?

Thank you!
by cheryllyx  

Re: Appropriate wedding gift for japanese 2013/8/28 21:34
The usual wedding gift for Japanese is money. However, because you are not Japanese they will not be offended if you give a gift of something, especially for the home, which is particular to your home country. In such a case you should be sure to get something of good quality, because the Japanese spend a lot of money on gifts, even poorer people.
by Mac (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate wedding gift for japanese 2013/8/30 00:26
Non-monetary gifts are fine and common, be the sender foreign or domestic. Tea sets sound lovely, too.

But I wouldn't be so sure if tea pots and tea sets are something that a "son" or his father would appreciate the value of. Men would probably end up not even touching them for the rest of their lives. Also, typical Japanese newlyweds don't have the room or the opportunity to use two or more sets, so if a friend of theirs is already giving one, they might need to think of a way to keep both.

If you have a very special set in mind, that's great, but how about something like a big plate instead? Something unisex or mannish might be more appropriate.

That said, I have treasured both two sets I was given from different people upon my wedding. But then, I was the bride.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread