Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/24 11:01
The volunteer guides we are set up with are strictly voluntary except we pay for any expenses they incur while with us.

I feel a modest gift to show our appreciation would be in order but don't want to offend any of the guides.

Any thoughts on a modest gift and suggestions?
by luck1223  

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/24 12:41
I have used the 'free Guide Service' in Kyoto several times and will again this coming November and I always present a small gift to my tour guide as an appreciation of their time and knowledge. I give a small picture book of my country 'Australia', (approx $6 value) which is always appreciated, some souvenier from your country would be surely appreciated, a key ring, booklet, badge of your countries flag etc. Nothing too large or expensive which would be an embrassment to receive. It is good that you are thinking in such a way, I'm sure your guide will be very pleased.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/24 22:17
I was thinking a 2014 US calendar with various scenes from the US. That should work. Thanks.
by luck1223 rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/24 22:48
You can also give a consummable gift, such as a dessert delicacy from your country.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/24 23:58
I use to work in the Philadelphia International Airport's Duty Free, and even though Hershey's is a good gift, most countries' have better tasting chocolate. The gift boxes usually taste better, but the plain Hershey bar gets a negative, haha.

Also, those souvenir chocolate's all pretty bad tasting.

I'll be using a volunteer guide next month in Kyoto, and I was trying to figure out what to give too. Since I'm from Philadelphia, I was thinking a keychain or magnet with LOVE Park, Rocky, or maybe the Liberty Bell. I do like your idea of the calender though since it'll be useful and doesn't make up much space.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/25 01:58
We were able to get some nice calendars and I think we will add some kind of sweet from the US.

http://www.calendars.com/cat00001/?PROMO=&cm_mmc=Email_Program-_-Q4-_-...

We fortunate to have volunteer guides in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and Nagasaki for one day each.

It will be nice to get a local flavor with the guides.

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/25 10:34
Nothing needed if the service is free, and, those volunteer guides are unable to accept anything from their guest normally.

If you took a photo with your guide, it is okay to send it to the guide's supported office with a written letter.
If you don't have a photo that is fine, if you send a letter or card showing your appreciation for the guide, the office will be accepted and hand it to your guide(normally).

The most guides are unable to make a physical/personal contact to their guest, because of the regulation. So you can't expect any reply from your guide.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/25 11:27
Thanks for that information.

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/27 13:20
Consumables.
Jam (though heavy). Biscuits, tsumami kind of food.
There is a limit to the number of picture books you'd want in your house.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/28 16:34
I would invite them to a meal during the tour or after. Personally, if I was a volunteer tour guide, I would absolutely hate to get a calendar, a key chain and all that..I would have to give them to somebody else soon after...

I don't even want my friends and relatives to give me that sort of gifts! One must know a person very well in order to give them a gift that they will really like.

I would be happy NOT to get anything...if one volunteers, it is to get to know people from different countries, not to get strange gifts..

Some inexpensive but healthy food would be OK though..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/28 20:31
Matter of opinion.

As a volunteer, I wouldn't expect anything but would appreciate any gift. Look at how much thought is being put into this? You would hate this?
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/29 10:46
The small gift is meant to show our appreciation. We will be paying for any of the guides expenses including meals.

I have received calendars with nice scenes from another country and really liked it. I don't understand an attitude that a calendar is not a safe gift. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and entitled to be offensive in the way you give it.

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/29 16:51
Depends on the month.
It doesn't make sense to give a calendar in say July when the year is half done. Personally I don't like to use non Japanese calendars in Japan because I want the public holidays marked on it.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/8/29 21:33
Thanks. It is a 2014 calendar and it is Sept. but then I could buy them strawberry jam and the prefer grape jam.

It really is something to show our appreciation for the hospitality we received from the guide.

I will stick with the calendar and if I get deported because of such a tacky gift then so be it.

Re: Gift for volunteer guide 2013/10/3 04:16
I just came back from Japan.

We had two volunteer guides. We gave them both wooden keychains that showed our city. They were amazed we gave them anything and attached them to their bags with their other keychains/charms. They asked about where we were from since the keychain showed the neighborhoods of Philadelphia.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

reply to this thread