Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hostels and Flip Flops 2013/8/31 16:50
Hi all,

I'll be visiting Japan in November and will be staying in hostels.

I know that in some of the hostels I will be staying at, I have to put on the provided sandals.

Do I have to use them or can I bring my own sandals/flip flops?
Can I use my own flip flops in the shower?
I am a bit concerned about the hygiene of those sandals or going barefoot.

I know its a weird question :)

Thanks!
by NJP (guest)  

Re: Hostels and Flip Flops 2013/9/3 00:20
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but in many Japanese hostelsl and homes, outdoor footwear is prohibited. But that doesn't mean you have to wear the footwear provided by the hostels. It's just that you often can't wear footwear that has been used outdoors.

I hope this answers your question. If not, ask again.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hostels and Flip Flops 2013/9/3 07:18
When I stayed in Osaka, I asked the hostel I stayed at about bringing my own slippers and they said it was not a problem.

I think the thing would be to be sure they look like slippers, and not shoes, or loafers, or any kind of outdoor shoe. If you say you want to use your own footwear, then bring out a pair of sneakers, it probably won' be well accepted.

Bring your own clean flipflops, or a pair of actual cotton slippers, and ASK at the front desk. And if no is no, then be polite and accept the answer.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

reply to this thread