Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/4 12:39
I am traveling to Japan as a business trip and an award trip for my services to my company. I will be touring one of our factories , thanking workers for their effort. Also I will be attending three separate dinners with executives , again thanking them for their work. Do I bring grits for everyone and when do I present these gifts. Also, how important is it for business cards in Japanese?
by Sdjeff  

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/4 13:02
If you can find some boxes of chocolates or sweets that everyone can share, that would be considered a nice gesture. If you know how many executives you will be meeting at dinners, a bit better ones in a box for each.

Yes, bring a full box of business cards, those are very important.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/4 13:43
I don't think you need gifts if it's a business trip.
Do you actually know very well those executives?
If it is first time to meet those executives, I don't think you need any gifts. If you know those people very well each other and met once or more before, I'd recommend you to bring a small gift for them, because they are partly your business and personal friends already.
Business cards are important manner for business people, I'd recommend you to bring a lot and exchange the card each person and say "Yoroshiku-onegaishimasu"(in business meaning "nice to meet you").
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/5 01:22
It's best to ask your colleagues, those who've done this before, because it may differ depending on the industry or company.

That said, I've worked in companies and industries where insiders from overseas would come for business trips, and they always brought a little something along. We did the same when going abroad as well.

But if you're traveling as a group, perhaps just the representative of that group could bring a gift/gifts in behalf of the whole group touring together.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/7 00:55
Thanks for all the information. I've ordered double sided business cards in both English and Japanese.
I found out that I will be speaking to 2 separate groups of 12 executives and 1 meeting of about 300 people. I was able to get the names / sex / age of the people in the 2 smaller groups and will give chocolates as a gift to each.
As I am the first to be sent over to Japan from my company, I am eager to get off on the correct foot. I also contacted and introduced myself to the people in marketing in Japan as they are making my arrangements and will be at my side for the 10 days I am there. For those people I have bottles of wine being shipped to my hotel in Japan as gifts.
by Sdjeff rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/9/8 00:43
When exchanging business cards, use both of your hands, especially when receiving someone's business card.
by cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/10/6 19:16
In addition to receiving your colleague's business card with both hands, even when meeting a large group of people, it is considered polite to take a moment and read each individual's business card upon exchange. And DON'T shove it in your trouser's back pocket.
by chatmax5 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/10/7 00:32
just to add..
if possible layout the card in front of you, position it to the their owner, if you all will sit down for a meeting..

as mentioned above, backside pocket is a no no..
by lay it out (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan, gifting and business card question 2013/11/11 07:01
Just returned from my business trip to Japan. I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions. A few items; Took Japanese lessons for 3 weeks. Invaluable! Learning how to select, wrap, and give a gift
. Again, invaluable. Was taken to a Geisha dinner, Sumo wrestling, tours ( take the hope on hop off buses). The business cards in English and Japanese are essential. My final comment , the trip went so well, I was offered a promotion which includes heading the Far East sales division. Thanks everyone.
by Sdjeff rate this post as useful

Congratulations! 2013/11/11 16:40
Great news! Thanks for the feedback!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread