Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visting Kyoto - Must Buy Omamori and Goshuin 2013/9/20 04:05
This forum has been so amazingly helpful in finalzing my itinerary, I thought I would ask this question that I don't think I've seen. I'll be staying in Kyoto for about 6 days and with the sheer amount of temples, it's impossible to see everything. So in addition to the biggies, Kinkakuji, Kiyozumedra, etc., I have a particular interest in acquring omamori and also the temple calligaraphy you collect (goshuin) and I wanted to know if anybody has any tips and experiences on which temples have very distinct Goshuin or distinct and (highly effective) omamori's that I should try to collect in Kyoto. I'm hoping that that will narrow down which temples to go to since I've go about 50 on my list and I need to start whittling it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
by JanusSoCal (guest)  

Re: Visting Kyoto - Must Buy Omamori and Goshuin 2013/9/20 22:44
I haven't traveled to a LOT of shrines/temples in Kyoto, but I do collect shuuin, so I took a quick look at my book to see what Kyoto ones I do have, and here are my recommendations:

1) Sanjyuusangendo - I actually bought my book here, and I like the shuuin because the stamps are pretty, and because they include a nice paper detailing exactly what everything says!

2) Kinkakuji/Fudoudo - A definite, but I see it's already on your list :) Fudoudo is kinda unnecessary, but I was there, so...

3) Arashiyama/Tenryuji - I wouldn't recommend, it's kinda boring honestly, but if you go for the beautiful garden (and the garden is very nice), you might as well

4) Ginkakuji - Another nice one, and it's one of my favorite temples in Kyoto

5) Azumamaru Jinja (next to Fushimi Inari) - I only got this one since I was there anyway; not worth it by itself, but if you go to Fushimi Inari you might as well grab it

6) Fushimi Inari - I'm gung-ho about any Inari shrines, and I loved Fushimi... there were actually two, but only the first one is really worth it imo unless you just like to "collect". Actually even that one is kinda a boring one, but the shrine was great

7) Kiyomizu-dera - It took me like 3 years to finally get this one, and while it isn't my favorite, I still like it. And you'll probably go to Kiyomizu-dera anyway.

That's all I've got for Kyoto... I have Osaka and Nara ones too, but you didn't mention those so I didn't add any one.

But if you're interested in the specific shuuin, you can search for the shrine/temple name and "goshuuin" in Japanese in google images and get a preview. Depending on the person the calligraphy styles can be radically different, but the stamps and placement are the same so you can get some idea.

Have fun!

by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Visting Kyoto - Must Buy Omamori and Goshuin 2013/9/21 01:23
Thank you so much scarreddragon. Actually, if you happen to have any recommendations for Osaka and Nara as well, that will also be greatly appreciated since I will be going to those areas as well. Do you usually leave your book before you go pray for them to stamp and then pickup after or do you go to them after you've prayed? I don't know waht the proper etiquette is for that. Also, do you happen to collect omamori as well? Any good ones to get? Thanks!
by JanusSoCal rate this post as useful

Re: Visting Kyoto - Must Buy Omamori and Goshuin 2013/10/7 06:52
If you haven't stumbled across this yet:

http://www21.atwiki.jp/shuinn/pages/16.html

This here is a link to a site with a rather comprehensive collection of most goshuin from the temples and shrines in Japan. I've linked you directly to the page of the Kyoto prefecture; just look for the temple/shrine you want via their Japanese names and Ctrl+F. Extra: Some pages even include the gorgeous covers of the respective temple/shrine's Goshuin-cho!

Have fun on your trip!
by altamateria (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread