Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/14 23:06
I have been eating in Yoshinoya or Matsuya at least once a day. They serve very similar food and I mostly have the beef on rice and the salad plus an egg. Beat the raw egg and pour it over the rice and mix it while warm. It is very nice. The staff at Sukiya or Matsuya advised me to use york only and leave out the egg white. What a waste. I find it better with the egg white. Only these restaurants serve salad cheaply. The new chicken on rice which is advertised widely in Yoshinoya is very nice too but may not be suitable to add the egg. I have not tried any curry rice as I don't know which is good. I have never seen a western tourist eating there. They told me they can't speak or read Japaneses. I have same problem but eventually everything can be worked out if you are patient with them. They will use a smartphone and go online to explain. It's cheaper than eating bakery or any convenience store food or instant noodle.
I can hardly find Nakau in small cities, anyone know their branches near Kyoto or Tokyo stations ? Someone told me they are famous for the parent and child chicken rice but I cannot find the name from their menu, which item is it ?
I also cant find Hanamaru.....
I dont enjoy the Ramen in Hokkaido, they are terribly oily.
KFC, McD and Subway is not popular in Japan compared to any other Asian countries....I can understand why since the Japanese food chains sell cheaper and proper meals compared to just chicken or burgers. I tried the kfc once, the rice provided is terrible, bland and tasteless. Always see a McD poster with 100 yen burger but cant find it in their menu. I never asked them.
Tried a few cafes and their coffees are really poor. I may have missed the good one. Someone told me Tullys is better but I have not tried it. Doutou is everywhere but I dont feel likw trying it as they look more luje a bakery store. Starbucks' coffee is just as bad as in most countries and all 4 visits I cannot log into their wifi despite that I registered.
by Lee (guest)  

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/15 12:02
The parent-child rice dish is called oyakodon
(eŽq˜¥).

There is a Nakau near the north exit of Tokyo Station
by muji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/15 12:49
I'm afraid if the name of this popular Japanese food "oyako-don" sounds so cruel.(^_^;)

Also I can recommend "katsu-don" that pork-cutlet and egg at Soba (traditional Japanese noodle) restaurants.
For example, Fuji-soba is very reasonable (though the restaurants of this chain are not very clean).
http://fujisoba.co.jp/food/#katsudon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUiRAlv0V70
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/16 09:45
Lee,

McDonald's in Japan is quite popular though their menu system leaves something to be desired. I find that they tend not to have everything listed but if you see signs around, then they do have it, it might just be hiding on the menu somewhere.

Plenty of foreigners do go to places like Yoshinoya but it's such a quick in and out place that it's no surprise you don't often spot them. And the menu's are picture menus and easy enough to use so I don't see why anyone would be deterred from them.

If you want to try curry, a popular curry rice place in Japan is Coco Curry's. You can adjust the sizes, spicy level and any number of toppings. If I'm there, I'll normally get the half size which also includes a free drink.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/16 21:30
I tried C & C curry rice at Shinjuku station this morning. I have curry rice first time in Japan and I think their curry may not be the best ....but their toppings are cheap. A large pc of fried fish just 100 yen.. a pc of small chicken 60 yen. And 2 types of free pickles. Seen Coco everywhere but have not tried.
McDonald in Japan considered not that good in business if you compare them to other Asian countries ..
I am pissed off with their service last night as my overnight was suspended last minute and the capsule hotel near Ueno station is full... No choice but to go to McD, claim 24 hrs but when I arrive, they say 24 hrs for takeaway only. Then they tell me another branch is 24 hrs but when I reach there....same thing....each set their own closing hours with a written note placed on the door...very bad service.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/17 10:40
I don't think you can fault McD's for their 24 hour food service being takeaway only. They are a fast food restaurant and not a hotel after all.

If you like Japanese style curry then you should definitely try Coco Ichiban as they have some of the best "fast food" curry.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/17 16:21
Lee, are you really complaining about food quality at these fastfood joints? Try eating a proper meal for a change.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/17 18:51
Yeah why have you gone all the way to a foodie country like Japan just to eat junk food, including McD? What a wasted opportunity.
by agreed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/17 18:53
Also, if I recall correctly you were the one wanting to bring instant milk coffee into Japan, which sounded just as awful as Japanese coffee, so I'm not sure why you don't like the ones you've tried. Japan is not renowned for coffee.....
by agreed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/19 00:56
Some of you simply read or simply reply ?
When did I complain junk food in Japan ?
When did I write that I go to McD for food ?
When did I write I will drink instant coffee in Japan ?

Back on my food experience, today I finally found Hanamaru the udon shop and fuji soda shop. Both are cheap but I prefer the ambience of Hanamaru better, have free battery charger, service is good. I don't like udon but tried the one with pork slices with egg, add 2 toppings total 740yen. I notice all the other customers have them without toppings or just with one. In most soba budget shop, I notice the Japanese eat very little. I guese these fast food places are either for the poor Japanese or they go in and take them as snack ?
I like some soba stalls in the train stations but not the one where they serve you the noodle and sauce put together.
Cold soba is definitely better than the warm one. Tried several warm ones but none are better than the cold soba.
Today I found many restaurants outside the Tokyo station Yaesu side very cheap. Tried Fuji Soba there but their soup left my mouth feeling thirsty all night.
Of all the cheap food, I still like Yonoshiya and Matsuya better. The beef rice with an egg added is good. So is the chicken served on the rice top.
Can't find the spagetti and dessert buffet shop, wonder where they are.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/19 01:01
OMG, you are so fussy! LOL
by lilly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/19 11:59
If you're looking for the dessert buffet shop that also serves pasta and curry, then I'm assuming you mean Sweets Paradise. Just google the name and check the shop listing. There are plenty all around Japan.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/19 16:59
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/19 19:23
Yes, this is the one. I don't know the name earlier.
by lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japanese fast food experience 2013/10/25 16:13
Concerning fast food, if you haven't tried MosBurger, I recommend it. It's a Japanese burger place and although it's more expensive than McDonalds, I must admit I love the taste!

First Kitchen is another Japanese one. I have only gone once because a friend wanted to go, but it's not bad. The ketchup and condiments were self-serve so you could get as much as you want. That part was kind of nice.

I like Tully's and Excelsior Cafe as far as chain cafes are concerned.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread