Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Plates from shrine visit 2013/10/27 01:32
Good day,
I recently got back from a wonderful Japan trip, still missing this country so much.
When packing up souvenirs I remember buying a kind of plate from Kunozan Toshogu shrine in Shizuoka. It was black, looked "plastic" and was sold by a shrine maiden inside the shrine area. There was a sign beside the plates with the kanji for "plate". I doubt it is used for saké since it being so big, but they sold both saké bottles and cookies there too.

Anyone knows what kind of plate this might be? It came wrapped in paper and had a small note which is probably care instructions. Could it be some kind of lacquer plate?
It was about 15 cm wide, light weight. I can try to upload a picture if it might help. Cost somewhere around 1500 yen I think.
by Shrine (guest)  

Re: Plates from shrine visit 2013/10/27 09:49
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/rika_n_213/3875804.html

The above link is from an internet search. Did the plate look anything like the 500 yen one around the middle of the blog, but only bigger?

If so, it's most likely a lacquer individual plate in memory of Tokugawa Ieyasu, one of the most famous shoguns in Japan. You can put sweets or small portions of food for yourself on it, or just place it somewhere for your interior.

Lacquer is very delicate and can be damaged easily in countries drier than Japan. You can post a photo of the note that came with it to see if anyone can make a rough translation for you so that you can take care of it properly.

According to the shrine's official website, it's the 400th anniversary of the enshrining of Ieyasu, and the shrine is selling some special goods to honor this occasion.
http://www.toshogu.or.jp/souvenir/index.html

The circle family crest with three hollyhock leaves is famous for being that of Tokugawa's.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plates from shrine visit 2013/10/27 18:30
Uco,
Thats the plate I bought. The black one there. I had the feeling laquoire would be more expensive than that, the price might have been 500 yen each too, bad memory. I will return with a picture of the note asap, I know my apartment is very dry so maybe I should find a better storage place for them. I am thinking of buying a humidifier for this dry air anyway. It is still in the wrapping and in the box it came in.

Thanks for your help Uco. Appreciate it.
by Shrine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plates from shrine visit 2013/10/28 01:47
Here is the instruction sheet that came with the plates:

http://s11.postimg.org/icd17w7n7/image.jpg
by Shrine (guest) rate this post as useful

the note 2013/10/28 10:00
First of all, the note doesn't say whether this particular item is real laquoire or not, and it seems to be a general instruction for many things they sell.

The following is the important part.

Do not use in steam cookers, dishwashers, microwave ovens, ovens or direct fire.
Do not use scrubbing brushes or cleansers.

Do not leave under direct sunlight, humidity, high temprature or inside water.

After using, wash as soon as possible and wipe off the water with soft cloth and then with dry cloth.

When greasy or stained with fingerprints, wipe off neatly with soft cloth or paper.

By the way, in shops and museums, laquoire items are often kept inside closed glass windows with a cup of water placed inside. I suppose that keeps the area not too dry yet not too humid. But if it's just a 500 yen plate, it may not even be that precious, I'm afraid.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread