Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/10/29 22:44
im going to japan during the said dates and I was wondering if shops are open? specially DAISO? and does anyone know the shop CHACOTT?
by mayismei  

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/10/30 09:42
The most Daisos open until 6 pm, 31 Dec, reopen on 3 or 4 Jan.
I don't know about Chacott.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/10/31 07:43
I know Chacott, the ballet supply shop. Most will probably close over New Year.
by Utan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/10/31 12:10
Don Quijote (Don Ki) stores are open every day of the year.

by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/2 21:31
whats the biggest don ki store in tokyo?
by mayismei rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/4 11:54
What about typical convenience stores? Will they be open? Will there be a problem getting food during the new year period?
by Saus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/4 12:00
The typical convenience store is always open. 24 hours per day and 366 days per year.

Will there be a problem getting food during the new year period?

It depends where in Japan you are. In big cities like Tokyo it is no problem.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/7 14:02
can anyone tell me how to get to giga funabashi by JR PASS? from shibuya
by mayismei rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/7 15:30
I'm not sure it's worth to go through the hassle of multiple transfers (and probably getting lost) just to visit a bigger 100yen store? 100yen stores are everywhere and basically sell the same stuff. Why don't you visit the Daiso Harajuku store instead? It's huge and only one stop from Shibuya.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/7 19:14
I went to the Giga-Daiso in Funabashi a couple weeks ago. It is definitely not worth a special trip. It's easy to get to from Akihabara on the Sobu Line, and easy to find using Google maps & street view. Leave the JR station, go under the Keisei tracks, and Daiso is just past McDonalds.

The other Giga-Daiso, in Machida (I think, but it doesn't matter) closed last March.

I'd define it as really just a regular Daiso, only not as cramped. Seriously, just go to the one in Hakajuku, or almost any of the other Daiso branches.

My guess is that Daiso knows what sells, so the best-selling stuff is at every branch. It looked to me that the bigger the branch, the more slower-selling stuff they had.

I got the ever-popular 2 battery portable plastic (& aluminum foil) sealer, and it sort of works OK. Another popular product is the never-boil-over device you put in the bottom of a pot.

Re: Are shops open from Dec 29-Jan 3? 2013/11/7 19:26
The biggest Don Ki shop in Tokyo is probably the one in Akihabara (Akiba). It also has an AKB48 Theater on the top floor (and you probably won't ever see any actual AKB48 members at their cafe near the station). Many years ago, this large building was actually AsoBit City.

After AsoBit moved out, it re-opened in several smaller specialty locations. It has now consolidated more, and the shop I like the most is a block south of Akihabara station, across from the police station. It sells model train stuff on the 5th floor, and an impressive arsenal of full-size model weapons on the 4th. AsoBit is actually owned by Laox, so their point card works in both places.

Don Ki Akiba has an adult section, extensive clothing and accessories, cosplay stuff, personal products, household items (a big seller is ceramic kitchen knives) and food, among other stuff. You can also get my favorite commercial beer there, Yona Yona Ale.

reply to this thread