Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wedding gift from foreigner friend 2013/11/26 03:15
Hi everyone

I am considering of attending a friend's wedding in Tokyo and was overwhelmed when discovered the amount of cash gift (odd numbers - 30,000 Yen normally). I am wondering if is it okay to give a non-monetary gift instead of cash gift.

Below are the situations:

- Me and my husband will specifically travel to Tokyo only for that event. The bride (our friend) has mentioned that nothing will be provided (accommodation wise) hence all expenses will be ours. Adding up all the travel amount, to be honest it is NOT cheap at all.

- As I am from Malaysia, I am thinking of something from Royal Selangor Pewter. I also know that only cash allowed on the wedding day so if I am giving a gift, I will try to find a way to give her.

- As I am going with my husband, what is the thought of giving 20,000 (1x10,000 + 2x5,000)? will we be seen as stingy?

- We are being invited for a wedding ceremony followed by a course lunch.

- The bride came to our wedding. She travelled overseas (hence that's why we feel obliged to do the same). She shared with another 2 friends to give us one gift (desk decoration). We provided all accommodation, transport and meals throughout her stay.

- We only know the bride, have no idea about the groom. Friendship wise, not too close to be called best friends but more towards normal friend who talk once in a while (or years).

Please advise of what will be perceived as 'good and sufficient' as I don't want to be frowned but at the same time I want to lessen the blow to my piggy bank.

Thank you for your thoughts and advise.
by Leah (guest)  

Re: Wedding gift from foreigner friend 2013/11/26 22:43
If you invited the bride to your wedding and paid all expenses for her then the bride should do the same thing to you.
I think it's not a bad manner to decline the invitation for the wedding. You need to send a wedding gift for her but it's not necessary to attend.

It's normally given money at the front desk of the wedding ceremony. The receptionist record who has come and how much the person sent money. So if you attend the wedding ceremony, it's unusual without bringing money.

A wedding gift can be sent by someone like workmates or colleague, you know the person but not a very close friend.

A good friendship often breaks on wedding matters something about this type of issue. So do no worry.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread