Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/11/27 04:52
Hi,

In the UK it normally cost a £1 to put in the trolley (shopping cart) coin slot to be able to remove the chain and use the trolley. In Japan how much is it to do the same thing? I'm guessing it is a single coin currency.

Let's say a scenario where in the UK a person wants to use a trolley but has no change, only a £10 note, he goes into the supermarket to get change but then stumbles across a comic he likes which is £9.99, he buys the comic, he comes out and realises that he hasn't got enough to pay for the trolley. In Japan what would be the realistic cost for the same scenario? This is for a script I am writing.

Is there a few stores in Japan where you may have to pay a deposit even if it may be uncommon? A big supermarket for example?

Mayur
by Mayur Patel (guest)  

Re: Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/11/27 09:07
A very simple answer is "NO", even in a very big hypermarket. :)
by a cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/11/27 13:09
Yes, the simple answer is indeed "no," but in the 40 something years of living in Japan as a Japanese, I've been to one big supermarket where the cart is NOT free of charge. It's OK Store in Itabashi-ohara.

So I guess we can say that if you can take the cart just like that, it's free, and if you need money, the money won't come back. At least that's how a local would think.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/11/28 00:50
Slightly off topic but is the script you're writing anything to do with a heavy weed smoker?

I can't imagine anyone else who could arrive at a supermarket with a 10 note, go in for some change for a trolley, then 'stumble across' a comic for 9.99 then go out and think "oh.. now I haven't got enough for a trolley... or any of the other shopping I arrived here to do..."

;-)
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/12/1 11:04
I've never seen a market in japan do this, and to be honest it's not that common in the UK either now.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do you pay a deposit to use a shopping cart 2013/12/13 14:36
That's insane... charging for tha cars, i've never saw that before, not in South america or Japan or any place.
by Juanjo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread