Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/17 17:57
I have a large Japanese traditional tattoo, all up my arm. A sleeve. I understand that Onsen's are going to be the most strict about this, with the whole prohibiting showing tattoos. But what about restaurants and people in general? Should I expect to cover up my tattoo where ever I go?
by Phil (guest)  

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/18 14:20
As a foreigner, no not really. I think it's pretty much expected that tattoos outside of Japan doesn't have the same stigma attached to it.

As for onsen, there are some places that allow those with tattoos to enter. You just have to ask first.
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/18 15:41
I advise you that you cover your tattoos in public, as possible.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/18 18:18

No need to cover the tattoo in the public.
Local people know that tattoos are common in other countries and popular with normal everyday people. Some close minded locals might look at you with unapproving expression, but I doubt you would want to interact with those anyway.

Just be yourself and enjoy. That's the best way to dispel the stigmas about tattoos little by little. Show your tattoo if you want.

Except in onsens...
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/18 18:54
Do in Rome as the Romans do.
If you don't know the above words, then follow the above person's advice.
the points is whether you want to SHOW your tattos in public, or you try to COVER your tattos.
Japanese understand your situation, if you behave properly. Otherwise, Japanese just igonor you. that's all.

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 12:01
I think the mix of answers should give you a good idea of what the response will be like: a mixed bag. In the countryside or with older folks, you'll get some looks, some people may be suspicious of you. Typically Japanese people don't confront people even if they are bothered by something so it's highly unlikly you'll have anything more serious happen other than being denied entry into a place where there's a policy (meant to keep Yakuza out) again tattooes and a few people having an aversion to you. If that makes you uncomfortable, you can cover them up to avoid that response.

I have a tattoo that is easily covered (on my back) and I have been to onsen that don't allow tattoos. I simply didn't say anything and once I was already in, I think they were too intimidated (because of a possible language barrier - I'm not scary looking or anything) or just didn't care for confrontation because they noticed but did not say anything. Maybe my being a women makes a little difference, but I'm not sure.
by ana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 13:45
I see loads of Japanese people with tattoos. Plenty of guys at the gym I go to.. a lot of people at the beach in summer.

The one problem as you already mentioned are onsen, public baths, water parks i.e. Nagashima Spa Land.

The idea that you should have to cover up everywhere you go seems incredibly old fashioned to me.
by Jimmy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 17:52
I see loads of Japanese people with tattoos.

Do they have good jobs, like public office stuffs or school teachers ? or are they hired by big companies like sony, and toyota. I definitely tell you that good Japanese never have tattoos. and the tattoos Japanese never have good jobs forever. they are droped out from the Japanese society.

Do you want to explain Japanese with the dropout person as the standard ?

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 18:19
the OP has a large Japanese traditional tattoo, all up his arm.

Have you ever seen many such Japanese in PUBLIC ? I have never seen that man, in all of my life.

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 19:37
A lot of Japanese people with heavy tattoos have "good" jobs, and of course legal ones. They're just not jobs like teaching or banking, that's all.

I see a fair amount of people, domestic and foreign, not covering their heavy tattoos in public or in restaurants. Unless it is against the facilities' regulations, just be natural and be sure you keep a nice-looking smile on your face.

But generally speaking, no-sleave shirts have not been the men's fashion trend for a while.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/19 19:47
I would be disgusted and even horrified with the tattoos.
Pease take it seriously that most Japanses people hate them.

People leading a decent life do not have tattoes. This is a soical norm in Japan.

Please cover up your body when you come to Japan.
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/20 03:32
Thank you everyone for your advice! Please keep them coming!
by OP guy who asked question (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/20 14:35
Some people don't like tattoos. That's OK. But then again some people don't like dogs. But you don't see people going around and calling for keeping dogs out of public or covering them up as a walking lumps of fabric.

I think Uco has a very reasonable answer. Ken and * have old fashioned view about tattoos, and there is nothing wrong with that, but personally I don't like when people try to push their own values to others. Even with a pretense of "cultural sensitiveness". Unfortunately Japan a quite a bit behind in time regarding the laws and customs about discrimination. Hopefully one day good people with beautiful tattoos are not discriminated in social and work life.

Getting a good job or being a good person, doesn't depend on whether or not a person has a tattoo. I find Ken's generalization highly insulting.

To OP,
don't worry about your tattoo. Sure some don't like it, like some don't like colour pink. You are not most likely trying to work in a bank in Japan, so you should not care.

Just enjoy your time as yourself.
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/20 22:34
I don't understand why you have no questions about that the tattoo person's bathing in onsen is denied.
you say OK in PUBLIC. why worry about in ONSEN ?
show me the ANSWER, Uco and KODAMA !!

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/21 02:01
ken, I'm afraid I didn't understand your last question. ごめんなさい、ご質問の意味がよくわからないのですが?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/21 02:19
This is just a translation of my previous posts, so that Japanese readers may have a better understanding.

前回も書きましたが、規則で禁じられているところではタトゥを見せるべきではないし、もちろん、入店が禁じられていればそれに従うべきです。

しかし、例えば、公道や電車内ではタトゥが禁じられていないし、タトゥを見せたまま、そういう場所にいる人をよく見かけるので、その事実をありのままに書いただけです。また、そういう場所においても、自然体で笑顔を心がけるといいと書きました。ただし、男性の袖なしは、どのみち流行に見合わないし、避けたほうが無難だとも書きました。

なお、温泉とタトゥの関係については、当フォーラムで嫌というほど書かれてきましたので、ここでは手短に申しますが、「禁止」の看板がある場所では、他の客も「ここではタトゥを見ずに済む」という安心感をもって利用するわけなので、その期待を裏切らぬよう、タトゥのある人は入店すべきではありません。私を含め、当フォーラムでは、そういう意見が大半です。

何かわかりにくいことがあれば、遠慮なくコメントしてくださいね。
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/21 04:09
Ken, for us, a tattoo is art. Where we're from, it doesn't matter if you have a tattoo (it is not the business of your boss as it's your private life), just as long as you don't show it in the actual workplace...well depending on the actual job. You could be a company President and have a tattoo.

Personally, I'd never get a tattoo, but some people have really cool-looking ones.

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/21 04:12
Oh forgot to mention that some gyms don't allow you to have tattoos. The one I'm registered with doesn't.

Re: How bad are stigmas against tattoos in Japan? 2013/12/23 00:23
Tattoos are a choice, so it's an acceptable form of discrimination to say 'no tattoos'.

I don't think cultural sensitivity is a guise, though. The Japanese history surrounding tattoos is generally that people with tattoos are generally immoral and overall bad people, so it's rather natural that they would disapprove. It's NOT the same as people liking pink. Pink doesn't have any cultural stigmas. Those oversimplifications may sound nice, but they're not helpful nor realistic.

There is nothing inherently "progressive" about tattoos, so acceptance is really not necessary. If you have them, though, you can still enjoy things and have a mostly normal stay.
by Jert (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread