Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Edo Wonderland - story of play 2014/1/3 19:38
Hi
I went to edo wonderland on 31.12.2013.I had an awesome experience there but I've one query.It's that as I didnt know japanese,so I didnt understand 1 play.That play really touched me.It would be nice if anyone can tell me the story.I am dying to know the exact story.

The story went something like this.There was a poor man and his wife.They were so poor that the man didnt have any clothes to wear.His wife's kimono was also torn from several places.Once he disguised his wife as a table so that the guest don't know that they are poor.Then in next part of the play there was a man who was collecting pebbles.That man(who was collecting pebbles) said arigatogazaimas (in tears) to the poor man.
Later the poor man's daughter got married to the man who was collecting the pebble.

This was what I saw.But I didn't understand anything.Please somebody tell me the whole story.
by mou tanu  

Re: Edo Wonderland - story of play 2014/1/4 12:20
I'm unsure. But if it's "Hanamori Ninjou Nagaya" at "Ryougoku-za",
https://www.facebook.com/137234046325515/photos/a.192058564176396.4597...
http://naturalclean.co.jp/blog12/blog.cgi/permalink/20130418125753
it looks based on a rakugo named "Bunshichi Mottoi" written by Sanyuutei Encho in 1880's.
Also it's a kabuki play that script is taken from this rakugo.

Bunshichi-Mottoi
http://www.kabuki21.com/bunshichi_mottoi.php
A plasterer has ruined himself by gambling and drinking.
His daughter decides to sell herself for 50ryou to help cover household expenses.
But the lady who runs a house of prostitution
sympathizes with his dutiful daughter, and offers him a loan.
On his way home runs into Bunshichi who is going to commit suicide because he has lost 50ryou of his shop's money.
He sympathizes with him and finally gives the 50ryou to him, saying life is more important than money.
Bunshichi and his master come to thank him for his help.
The money Bunshichi thought he had lost had been left behind at a customer's residence.
As a result the money was returned to his shop.
The master was so impressed by his humanity and his daughter's devotion to her parents that he redeems her and suggests that she and Bunshichi get married.
With the blessings of everyone around them, the young couple makes plans to live together and to work towards Bunshichi's dream of opening his own mottoi (hair ornaments) shop.

By the way, Bunshichi-Mottoi was popular brand of hair ornaments in the Edo period.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Edo Wonderland - story of play 2014/1/7 19:41
Thanks a lot!!! This was the story that I was searching for. I have even messaged in the Edo Wonderland's facebook page but didn't get a reply. I was so much impressed by their acting that after coming to home I searched the youtube and google for the story but was unable to find it. Thank you very much. So, those stones were actually ancient currencies. For the last few days I was a bit restless now I am at peace as I have understood the entire story. Arigatogozaimas :)
by mou tanu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread