Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/13 22:09
Hello!

I will be traveling to Nagoya and Hokkaido early Feb. I wonder if it's easy to buy chemical heat packs n snow shoe spikes in these places? Can I have a price range of them? what are e recommended brands for heat packs?

Thank you very much!
by mee (guest)  

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/14 10:42
Chemical heat packs, called kairo (かいろ), are easy to find in winter as pretty much every convenience store will have a large selection on hand, although usually only one brand. Shoe spikes can also be purchased at convenience stores in Hokkaido for about 2000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/14 18:42
Just to add, I also found those items at the Kiosk in airports and underground shopping archades of Sapporo. Try asking the first shop you find for "kairo" and "suberi-dome."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/14 21:20
Timely question as I'll be in Hokkaido a few weeks from now for the winter festival.

How treacherous are the pavements there at that time of year? Are spikes absolutely necessary or are the streets still navigable without them? (I'll be wearing a pair of sturdy hiking shoes with quite rugged soles - no built-in spikes, alas.)

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/15 04:54
I remember slipping and falling several times when I went to the snow festival. You have to be careful near corners where the splashes from cars accummulate and freeze then get covered with snow.
by ed (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/15 06:43
Shoes attachment(滑り止め/suberi-dome) item cheaper sales at New chitose air port and JR Sapporo station stores.
http://www.footcare-goods.com/kutuno_suberidome_001.htm
But basically not boots(short/half/long) felt cold and not safe if slipdown.
Slip down suddenly happened broken bone or concussion very dangerrous.

"Kairo" works limit 24rs/one sheet usual but first timer using 2 or 3 and more sheets usual
put stomach(also back and west),neck back and hands or bottom of legs.
(Don't put skin direct will low-temperature burns some cases)

So needs a lot as 1st timer purchase at drug stores(pharmacy) 20 or 30 box packs type cheaper than convenience stores one.
Drug stores a lot at Air port and major stations and more major street in Sapporo.
Convenience stores more plased anywhere than drug stores no problem.

Also don't forget about "chilblains(frostbite)" by low temp long time if no protect fingers hands and feet.
and "snow-tan" by day lights(UV) reflection by snow if very fine day.
by PPR (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: heat packs and shoe spikes 2014/1/16 00:30
Sneakers or snow shoes with rough rubber soles are just as same as the spikes they sell in Hokkaido.

If all you have are ordinary city shoes you wear to your office, then the spikes will work like magic for you. But if you have flat rubber soles, you can probably handle the snow. So hiking shoes should be enough.

You can always buy a new pair of slip-on spikes once you decide you need them, though.

By the way, as far as I know, most portable heat packs only last as much as 20 hours. My favorites, however, are the once especially made to put under your feet, and they last only about 5 to 6 hours.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread