Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Boyfriend and language 2014/1/23 07:02
I have been involved with a Japanese guy for about a year and so far, the majority of our communication has been in Japanese (with a little English mixed in)
My Japanese is not very good, whereas his English is also not fluent (still good enough at a conversational level, IMO) but, he doesn't feel confident in using much English, so we talk in Japanese most of the time, despite my struggles.
He is serious about me and wants to marry me eventually and his parent knows about us.
His family doesn't speak English much at all and he puts a lot of pressure on me to improve my Japanese, he keeps insisting that I should try harder, so that I'm able to communicate with his family. I have been studying the language for one year so far.
I'm not anywhere near fluent level.
I'm working hard to improve my language skills and I really want to make this work out between us.
However, I can't become fluent in Japanese overnight.
What should I do? How should I handle this situation? Any tips will be highly appreciated.
by rose (guest)  

Re: Boyfriend and language 2014/1/23 09:49
I know how you feel. You know what, just take it easy and study at your own pace. To be honest, he have to put effort into his English also. Not just you alone. Tell him, you're trying your best and it would be nice for him too make an effort to improve his English too. You know once you guys are married, he's going to have to commnicate with your non Japanese peaking freinds and family too. Just my two scents. Well for me and my boyfreind use both languages to talk to eachother. I use all the source I can get, books, watching Japanese movies only, listening to Japanese music, reading Japanese books, etc. Lets say, I went on a Japanese diet and he's on an English diet lol. Just make it fun for yourself is the easiest way to learn ;)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Boyfriend and language 2014/1/23 10:34
I think you should not marry with him.

here is an interesting video. they speak both languages. sometimes both speak non-native languages each other. It is funny that US girl asks in Japanese and Japanese boy answers in English. I think they are equal partners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir3swGCikD4
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Boyfriend and language 2014/1/23 11:45
Hi Rose. I would continue with the Japanese lessons, stress to him HE must learn English and put in as much effort as yourself in your Japanese studies. Be very upfront with this and INSIST. If you give in now and assume the underling position in the relationship you are destined for a lifetime of subservience. Don't let this over bearing person walk all over you...

TTS
by tHE tRUTH sERUM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Boyfriend and language 2014/1/23 12:50
I would definitely say put off marriage until you can communicate better. I agree with the above poster that he should be putting equal effort into learning English, but if you marry him before you can fully express your needs and wants, before you can take a stand and argue about important issues, or before you can go by yourself to the bank/city hall/etc. and deal with paperwork and the things you need to do without his help, you are always going to be at a serious disadvantage in the relationship. A lot of people end up completely dependent on their spouses because of language issues, and it is not healthy.

Once you can actually talk to him fluently, you may find he may not even be the guy you think you know (and you may not be the girl he thinks you are)- honestly, he sounds like he is not very sensitive to your needs if he is putting that much pressure on you (remind him that he probably studied English for 6 years and is not confident in it, you've only been studying a year!)

As far as improving language skills, the only way is to immerse yourself and practice every day, and it will come with time.
by vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread