Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/1/28 21:27
ILm planning buying some video game consoles and games in my trip to Japan (a PsVita and a US region 3DS), but ILve heard that Akihabara has turned quite expensive regarding game goods.

Should I look for better prices in central Tokyo or should I try smaller shops?
ILm also going to Kyoto, will I have more luck searching in Den Den Town?
by Brunho (guest)  

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/1/29 10:27
ILm planning buying some video game consoles and games in my trip to Japan (a PsVita and a US region 3DS), but ILve heard that Akihabara has turned quite expensive regarding game goods.

Akihabara turning expensive? You mean they're charging retail now ;) Btw, foreign region items are not all that common, so good luck finding them. It'll be pretty hit or miss.

Should I look for better prices in central Tokyo or should I try smaller shops?

I wouldn't bother. The prices will be pretty uniform across the country. You can price check on Kakaku.com, they list a lot of physical stores too.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/1/29 22:40
With regard to Super Potato specifically, their Ikebukuro branch is slightly cheaper than their Akihabara branch. Whether or not you'll find what you're looking for though is another matter.
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/1/29 23:27
by BLM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/1/30 00:27
Mmmh, if you want a US region console, then Japan is NOT the place... You won't find it easily and definitely not cheaper than in the US... not worth the effort at all in my opinion.

About, Den Den Town, is not in Kyoto but in Osaka; if you like retro stuff, their Super Potato branch is quite interesting (as much as the Akihabara one could be); new videogame prices will be quite uniform though.
In Kyoto, is often very very overlooked but there's some videogame shops in Teramachi-dori, if you have some time, go there and take a look. You never know what you may find. There's also a very nice Onigiri stall in the street :D
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/2/1 00:56
Thanks for the opinions, also I didnLt know Kakaku.com, thanks for the reference.

More opinions are welcome, since thereLs still some time until my trip. I will try to post here if I found what I wanted and where after that.
by Brunho rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/2/1 05:41
re Den Den town
I have found much easier to deal with staff in big electronic stores like Yodobashi Cameras and Bic, than in Den Den town small stores, as the people there don't really speak English. Also these small crowded stores aren't a good place for browsing around..

Its one thing fine to buy a knick knack without the 2 parties not speaking the other person language, but when buying electronics I have to know all about the goods I am interested in..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/2/1 19:02
Akiba is expensive yes. It's quite a tourist trap.
Best places to buy games are out of the way book/hard offs
by not the walrus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Video game goods too expensive in Akihabara? 2014/2/1 23:04
for new stuff such as the vita and 3DS there's not much to be saved. A US 3DS will cost you far more than in the states. As mentioned Akiba is a tourist trap and you will be paying close to ebay prices, den den town is going the same way but at a slower pace.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread