Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 10:33
Hi there, is anyone able to recommend any particular stores where I can buy paper crafting goods in Tokyo? Things like washi tape, stickers, sticky notes, notebooks. I realise a lot of places sell them as I've already done some research, but I have a limited time frame in which to shop for them so I'm hoping someone can recommend a 'sure thing' store somewhere? Thanks!
by Carenza  

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 11:34
I'm pretty sure that's what Tokyu Hands sells, there's a few locations, but it depends on what city you're staying in. Also, check the \100 stores,last time I was in one they had a decent selection of those things. :)
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 12:11
Tokyu Hands is good.
Or Shimojima in Asakusabashi?
http://www.shimojima.co.jp/products/index.html
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 15:07
Tokyu Hands is usually pretty good for all of those items. They have branches all over Tokyo. Some are better than others but they are convenient. There are branches in Shibuya, Ikebukuro and Ginza if you want one close to sightseeing.

Loft is another store you might like to consider. They are the main competitor to Tokyu Hands. They also have branches all over the place, including Shibuya and Ikebukuro.

There are lots of other not so well known stores that I can recommend, but it really depends where you are staying and the places you are visiting. If you let me know your basic itinerary, perhaps I can suggest a few places that would be easy to slot in.
by mykawaiilife rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 18:08
Thanks everyone! Tokyu Hands is sounding like a safe bet then. Mykawaiilife, my itinerary starts and ends in Tokyo and takes me to Matsumoto, Nagano, Takayama, Kanazawa, Hiroshima, Kurashiki, Kyoto and Yokohama. I have a free day in Tokyo at the start and end of the trip so I was focusing around that area, the rest is an organised tour and I'm not sure how much free time will be involved. Also will be with a backpack so didn't want to really carry this stuff around the whole trip with me. Might check to see if the hotel I start and end at can hold it for me for the trip duration if I get things on the first day. It's for a friend and I want to get her some things but also have my own plans in Tokyo hence wanting an idea of a shop to head to so that I'm not wandering aimlessly trying to find stuff for her.
by Carenza rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/1/31 18:11
Forgot to say my Tokyo hotel is near the Tokyo Tower so I guess it's centrally located enough I can get to any of the main districts without too much issue.

Itoya, and call in advance 2014/2/1 18:15
I have to say that Tokyu Hands is getting worse and worse. If you're going, be sure you go to the Shibuya Head Store, because that's the store that has the best, and often the only, selection for many items they handle.

On the other hand, no one so far seems to have mentioned Itoya.
http://www.ito-ya.co.jp/store/itoya/ginza/

Their detailed (Japanese) website tells us that at least their Ginza Head Store (which has temporarily moved to the red spot on the map) sells a variety of paper items.

Either way, stationary shops are where you should be heading to. You might be able to save time by phoning them in advance to see if they have the items you need. Itoya and Tokyu Hands are both familiar with foreign tourists.

By the way, I'm a local and I found the flower shop next to the Itoya temporary shop amusing. Cozy, Japanese, and nice to look at.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/2/2 00:02
Thanks Uco. The Shibuya one is the one I would be heading to. I did pick up Itoya from net research and wasn't totally sure if it was more speciality and brand goods from the info I found. If I end up in Ginza, I'll go take a look.

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/2/2 07:34
stickers, sticky notes, notebooks can be purchased at stationary stores but wasi tapes are not typical stationary at ordinary stores.

I recommend you to visit Tokyu Hands(Shibuya or Shinjuku) and Loft(Shibuya) first. Tokyu Hands Shibuya and Loft Shibuya are both closer(about 400m away, 5 mins walking distance).

If you visit Shinjuku, then visit "Sekaido" Shinjuku Honten(Head quarters) which is near Isetan department store Shinjuku.
Sekaido supplies huge artistic and stationary supplies for both general and professional use. If you can't find those craft supplies at Sekaido, you are unable to find them anywhere in Japan.

Sekaido Shinjuku Honten(head quarters)
Open: 9:30 - 21:00(Mon-Sun)
3-1-1 Shijuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022
https://maps.google.co.jp/maps?q=3-1-1+Shinjuku,+Shinjuku-ku,+Tokyo,+J...
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/2/2 18:09
Oh yes, actually, I wasn't sure what you meant by "washi tapes."

But either way, Itoya is not a speciality store. They're just as general as Hands or Loft.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crafting/paper goods Tokyo 2014/2/3 02:52
Sorry Uco, maybe that's not a familiar name for them in Japan. Not sure what they'd actually be called though!

Thanks everyone, you've given me some great tips of places to look and I feel much more confident about fining some bits without too much trouble :)

reply to this thread