Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/6 14:58
I'm going to Japan for the first time for a week at the end of this year. I want to take some nice photos and I wanted to buy a DSLR camera for the trip. Would I save more buying here in the States beforehand, or waiting and going to an electronics shopping area in Japan?
by MariNihon  

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/6 16:30
Considering the US dollar against the yen is not doing very good, I'd say you'd be better buying your camera in the states, unless is a new model that only exists in Japan yet.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/6 17:31
It depends a lot on the specific brand and model that you are looking for. Some brands are cheaper in the US, some cheaper in Japan. Be sure to price check first. Amazon.co.jp and Kakaku.com will give you a good idea of prices in Japan.

But in addition to price, you need to consider language options and warranty. For example, Panasonic and Sony models are not usually sold with English menus in Japan. And cameras with international warranties cost more, when they are even available.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/6 17:32
Also consider whether or not you want to spend sightseeing time buying a camera when you land, or if you want to become familiar with your camera before your trip.

Do you have any specific models in mind?

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 01:03
Thanks so much for the comments thus-far!

I already have experience with Canon DSLR cameras, so I was hoping to get another since I'm already familiar. I also am not looking for the best and newest on the market. They say 'it is the photographer that takes good photos, not the camera'. I'm not professional but I wouldn't mind buying an older even "obsolete" model which should already be cheaper.
by MariNihon rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 06:40
And be sure to bring lithium batteries, if needed. Batteries are not always readily available.
by Wakkanai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 07:31
Buy your Canon DSLR in the US. The models in Japan are called something different to the US, and you will just confuse yourself and possibly buy the wrong camera.
Generally speaking, Japanese brand cameras are cheaper in the US, except for Panasonic mirrorless (G series), but as mentioned previously, the domestic Panasonics have Japanese only menu.
You also have to consider the warranty, which are usually Japanese warranty for the DSLR body (except for Olympus)
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 07:33
@Wakkanai "And be sure to bring lithium batteries, if needed. Batteries are not always readily available. "

I'm not sure what this means, but lithium batteries for Canon DSLRs are easily available in Japan.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 14:02
Thanks everyone for your input!

皆さんありがとうございます〜!

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 14:36
I already have experience with Canon DSLR cameras, so I was hoping to get another since I'm already familiar. I also am not looking for the best and newest on the market. They say 'it is the photographer that takes good photos, not the camera'. I'm not professional but I wouldn't mind buying an older even "obsolete" model which should already be cheaper.

If you're looking for older Canons then that pretty much relegates you to the used market since most shops don't carry canons more than a model or so back. In that case you might be better off purchasing in the US since you'll have a better chance of finding what you're looking for with more time and resources available to you.

And be sure to bring lithium batteries, if needed. Batteries are not always readily available.

Of course if you buy something here it will come with the proper battery, but otherwise any good camera store in Japan will carry the appropriate batteries for your camera should you want to purchase a spare.

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/7 20:00
I would recommend to buy your camera before you go, get familiar with it so you can start shooting immediately on your trip. AFAIK camera prices are usually similar or more expensive in Japan and warranty is useless outside of Japan.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Should I buy my camera in Japan or America? 2014/2/8 07:35
Thanks a lot~!!

reply to this thread