Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How should I ask this question? 2014/2/19 15:10
I am thinking of looking for an administrative job after several years of not working due to child raising. I would like to look for a job that has little or NO OT so as to achieve a work-life balance. How do I go about asking this question without the interviewer raising his eyebrow?
by adele (guest)  

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/2/19 17:33
Hi,
How about this?

Kaji tono kaneai ga ari, zangyou wa muzukashi nodesu ga, jizen ni yoyuu wo motte shirasete itadakereba, tsukini 3-4 jikan teido wa kanou desu.

I have a lot of housework to do, so it's difficult for me to work overtime. But If I'm informed several days before, I can work overtime three or four hours per month.

kaji=housework
zangyou=overtime work
muzukashi=difficult

by kazz1972 rate this post as useful

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/2/19 23:07
say honestly your situation. otherwise, you will have problems after you get a job.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/2/24 17:57
Hi kazz1972,

Thank you for your advice but if I say specifically upfront that I can only work 3-4 hours of OT a month, would not the interviewer think that I am being inflexible & the number of OT is too low & pass me over?
by adele (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/2/24 18:01
And after going for an interview, when my recruitment agency (jinzai hakken gaisha) calls to ask me how did the interview go, usually what should a candidate say to secure her chance of being selected for a second interview??? Something like "Oh, it was good"?

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/2/25 23:43
would not the interviewer think that I am being inflexible & the number of OT is too low & pass me over?

They might think like that, but usually decent company won't. There're many women who can't work overtime in Japan. So, I think there's no problem.
by kazz1972 rate this post as useful

Re: How should I ask this question? 2014/4/2 20:22
In Japan, after a candidate has gone for an interview, will the recruitment agency (jinzai hakken gaisha) call to ask how did the interview go? And if they do, what should a candidate say to secure her chance of being selected for a second interview by the company??? Something like "The interview went well"?

reply to this thread