Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suji & bashi -- what do they mean? 2014/2/25 21:59
As in shinsaibashi suji, tenjinbashi Suji, nipponbashi, etc. thank you.
by lalainec2003  

Re: Suji & bashi -- what do they mean? 2014/2/26 17:13
Simply a word "suji" means "line",
and "-hashi/-bashi" means "bridge".

Recently I read an article about Suji & Toori(Doori), I didn't know because I'm live in Tokyo.
In Osaka and Kobe, the streets runs north and south are called "Suji" and the streets runs east and west are called "Toori/Doori".
By the way, this rule is not used in Kyoto.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Suji & bashi -- what do they mean? 2014/2/27 07:31
The word "suji" has various meaning. I suppose that in place names "suji" means a way from, to, along or so.
Shinsaibashi-suji in Osaka is a way from/to a bridge which has been called Shinsaibashi.
The same can be said about Tenjinbashi-suji in Osaka.

Among place names which end with the word "hashi" meaning a bridge, some may derive from a name of a real bridge.
A place name in Osaka "Nippombashi" comes from a bridge which has been called so.
The same can be said about "Nihombashi" in Tokyo.
(These two names look the same in kanji characters.)
Also "Shimbashi" ["Shinbashi"] in Tokyo comes from a real bridge, though the bridge no longer exists.

In modern Japanese, "hashi" which can mean a bridge, "hashi" which can mean chopsticks and "hashi" which can mean an end are regarded as different words.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Suji & bashi -- what do they mean? 2014/3/2 17:44
Thanks Omotenashi and AJapaneseBoy!
by lalainec2003 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread