Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/2 17:12
I will be living in Japan for three months this summer, and I was wondering what some simple and cheap meals to cook were. I'm American, and I usually only spend $150/month on groceries. Hopefully, I'd like to be spending about the same amount per month on groceries in Japan. I'm not too familiar with the selection at Japanese grocery stores, so I was wondering if there were any other frugal people out there who know some recipes for cheap meals I can cook at home in Japan. For a bit more information, I usually eat steamed vegetables for dinner since I can buy them very cheap where I live. Are vegetables also cheap in Japan? I hear fruits are a bit expensive as well...
by Natushii  

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/3 16:11
by Hf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/3 20:47
It depends on the vegetable and fruit. The usual trick is to go to the Super Market about one hour before closure, so you can get fresh products at heavily discount prices.
Some products will be more expensive than what you're used to but some will be pretty cheap too.
Rice is pretty cheap, and soba, udon, chinese noodles are cheap and easy to prepare. Curry, katsuboshi, soy sauce or mirin are easy to use and cheap ingredients. If you go to supermarkets before closure you'll find daily bento boxes for cheap too.
by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/4 07:37
Thanks for the responses! I'll be staying in Osaka.
I'd heard about the bentos being marked down near closing time, but I didn't know it also applied to fruits and vegetables. Thanks!
by Natushii rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/4 08:39
I don't think I've ever seen fresh fruits and vegetables "heavily discounted." Maybe a 400-yen package of cut-up pineapple chunks will be 30% off.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/4 11:23
Rice i not cheap in Japan. a 5kg bag will cost around 2000 yen. Its inflated price is due to the tarrifs on imported rice, used to subsidize Japanese farmers.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/5 10:20
The fruit and vegetables that go on discount are generally nearing the end of their shelf life, so don't expect there to be too much selection. Some stores discount these items in the evening while others do it throughout the day and they're often kept on a special rack in the produce section.

Discounts on prepared foods are done around 7pm at most of the places I frequent. The selection is best if you go just as they are discounting. Some places do second and third rounds of discounting, but don't expect as good a selection.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/5 17:37
Whatever the kind, food that is local and in season tend to be cheaper, as they need less transportation fee and is abundant. Plus, they are the most nutritious.

By local I mean from the town you live in as opposed to a prefecture that is hours away by truck. It will also help the local economy and agriculture.

So if you expect to buy European or Southeast Asian food, many tend to be rare and expensive, but for example, right now you can buy various Japanese citrus fruits like mikan or iyokan for less than 300 yen a kilogram.

Once you decide where you live, keep an eye on flyers from your nearest market (be it supermarkets or a shopping street of individual stores). They are available at the stores or you can view them on their websites if they have one.

Here is an example:
http://yorkmart.misbit.com/sale/handbill_img/lMjRfajJfMTI3MzUxXzE0MDMw...

Potatoes, onions, carrots are 38 yen a piece if you buy on March 5th.
(Keep in mind that, compared to say U.S. grown ones, potatoes tend to be smaller while carrots tent do be bigger.)

Huge daikon raddishes keep you warm when served hot, and here they are 128 yen a piece on the 7th.

You can look for various chain stores like OK Store which has a reputation for their cheapest prices.
http://www.ok-corporation.co.jp/

You can also try to stick to the same family-run store, like vegetable shops or meat shops. In the days of supermarkets, they struggle to gain customers and will often give you friendly advice and discount, especially to frequent customers. Here is an example of a big shopping street in Osaka area, although there are smaller ones everywhere.
http://www.shinsaibashi.or.jp/

If you haven't decided which part of Osaka to live in, you should try to choose from the more modest areas as opposed to the high-end areas.

I also hear that Osaka is all about bargaining. While people in Tokyo area don't try to bargain, the Osaka people would bargain at any place they'd go to. You might want to pick that habbit up from the locals.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Meals to Cook in Japan? 2014/3/6 07:45
I was born and raised in Osaka, and my son is living alone in north Osaka as a student. This is not a direct answer to your questions but I hope this might be useful.

My son is a diligent student: He does not go to club or dining out. He eats breakfast (40 g cereal and 200 ml milk) and supper at his apartment. He usually cooks his supper. He eats lunch at cafeterias in his university (400-450 yen). His grocery cost is about 10000 yen/month excluding the lunch at the cafeteria. I think this might be the low-end, but you can do in this way.

By the way, as an Osakan (originally: I am now living in south Kyushu), I bargained only once in my lifetime (59 years), when I travelled to the USA and try to use my poor English :). I got 10% discount at that time.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread