Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/9 15:42
Hello All,

May i know is there any company will provide kind of long term car rental...e.g 1 or 2 years of contract?
without any lease and will return the car afterward....

thanks

Maarten
by Maarten (guest)  

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/9 23:11
I can't think of any agency that does that, and it sounds incredibly expensive. Why not just buy a used car if you're planning to stay for that long?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/10 00:53
That would be prohibitively expensive. I rented a car for 3 days on my last trip to Japan and it was over $100 U.S. per day.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/10 11:17
It depends on where you are and who you can get a recommendation from. Long term car rentals like this do exist. For example, I rented a car from a local for 6 months for 18000 yen a month. I was responsible for gas and oil changes as well as personal driver insurance, but everything else including snow tires was done by him. Also if I ever got into an accident, he could pick me up and give me a loaner car if necessary, although thankfully that was never a problem.

I'd say for the 6 months that I rented, it was a good deal. However knowing I would need a car longer, I found one to buy after 6 months since that would be cheaper. If many cheap cars with 2 years of shakken go for 150000 yen or so, it is usually cheaper to just buy a car if you'll be in Japan for 2 years. But for shorter times, it might be good to do a long-term rental depending on your situation.

If you are in the market, I would recommend finding out the website/forum of your local JET/ALT community and asking there if anyone has any experience/ideas. On the off-chance you are coming to somewhere around Gunma prefecture, I can email you the phone number of Eba-chan, who I rented from 2 years ago. He speaks English which is a huge bonus, and is a super nice and helpful guy. Otherwise, the local ALT community is going to be the most helpful to you.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/12 03:28
Thanks for your Advice, But for the Long Term Car Rental, i am looking for like signing up a contract for 1 year first.
Because i try to lease a car from a car dealer, but my Resident Card only valid for 1 year, so they can't offer me car leasing.
by Maarten (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/12 08:39
I would suggest checking out your local ALT forum anyway, lots of them have cheap cars they are looking to sell when they leave Japan. I don't know where you are (will be) living, but most prefectures have a facebook or forum hangout you can ask questions on. They may even be able to direct you to a long-term rental place or person.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Long Term Car Rental 2014/3/12 11:39
May i know is there any company will provide kind of long term car rental...e.g 1 or 2 years of contract?
without any lease and will return the car afterward....

Yes, as mentioned this is definitely available in some areas and when it is it can be quite affordable. Since tax and shakken are included it is often cheaper to rent over a two year period than buy a used car.

The rates depend on where you live and where I am it costs about 10,000 yen/month for a keisha. You can often make longer contracts at reduced rates, and get larger/newer cars for more.

As Scarreddragon mentioned, check with the local ALT network. They usually have a line into those kinds of things.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread