Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Little question on Japanese form 2014/5/15 17:36
I noticed most of the Japanese online forms has these two fields:

申込者名:
フリガナ:

If you are a foreigner living in Japan, how do you fill in these 2 fields (if the name is not Japanese at all)?
by Phill (guest)  

Re: Little question on Japanese form 2014/5/16 11:47
Very interesting.
I'm on form side though, we expect to be inputed like this.

申込者名: "John Doe" or "ジョン ドゥ"
(How can we write your name to send something by post?)
フリガナ: "ジョン ドゥ"
(How can we pronounce your name?)
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Little question on Japanese form 2014/5/18 00:09
Of course, it depends on the format.

申込者名: How it should be printed for that particular purpose.

フリガナ: How it could be discribed in kana.

So in some cases, the upper part should be "Phill" and, for example, if they want to credit you as a cast in a TV show, the upper part would usually be フィル which will be the same as the フリガナ

By the way, if you live in an apartment named 鈴木ハイツB棟, that's how you should write it where the form says 住所
Then, on the フリガナ form you are to write スズキハイツビートウ
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Little question on Japanese form 2014/5/22 21:25
Just to chime in, online it doesn't really matter, but if you're living in Japan and filling out these forms for official purposes, it is important to ask if the first field should be your name in katakana, or in romaji, because I've had forms rejected before because my name was "written incorrectly" i.e. I wrote the first section in katakana instead of romaji.

Also, it is often important to fill out both spaces even if you're writing katakana in both, because as stupid as it sounds, often the person who sees the form only sees a blank spot instead of thinking "oh this name is already in katakana so that blank is unnecessary". I've had forms rejected for this reason and have had to redo them. :/
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Little question on Japanese form 2014/5/22 21:38
It really depends on the organisation that gave you the form.

Sometimes I write my name in romaji and then transliterate it to katakana and offer it as the furigana. I will usually ask them if it is ok to write in romaji.

If not, I'll just write my name in katakana and leave the furigana blank. That's sufficient most of the time.
by spacedotworks (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread