Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pronounce my Chinese name in Japanese 2014/5/20 22:09
My name is 黃Œd‰λ
The Japanese kanji is ‰©Œd‰λ
In Cantonese, it is pronounced as Wong Wai Nga.
In Putonghua, it is Huang Hui Ya.
I wonder how it is usually pronounced in Japanese.

There are some many pronunciations for one kanji! So difficult!

I also don't understand what are differences between Goon, Kan'on, Kun, Nanori, On.

I was checking wikidictionary and I found these categories in Japanese.

Thanks a million!!!
by dreamolica  

Re: Pronounce my Chinese name in Japanese 2014/5/21 14:38
‰© ou or kou
Œd kei
‰λ ga
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pronounce my Chinese name in Japanese 2014/5/21 14:54
黃(Kou)
Œd(Kei)
‰λ(Ga)

kou-Kei-Ga(ƒRƒEEƒPƒCƒKj

You might put an English name for your close friends.

Kou-chan(male and female), Kou-kun(male) or Kou-san(male and female) between you and Japanese friends seem to be work well.

I think your proper name will be only required at city office, money matters and medical clinic etc.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Pronounce my Chinese name in Japanese 2014/5/21 20:35
Thank you very much indeed!!!

By the way, it seems that people's name are sometimes pronounced according to ŒP“Η or ‰Ή“Η.

Are there any specific rules??

by dreamolica rate this post as useful

Re: Pronounce my Chinese name in Japanese 2014/5/21 22:13
‰Ή“Η‚έ(On-Yomi) is the way to speak or pronounce kanji in Chinese way. It's almost unsure the meaning in Japanese. On-Yomi sometimes make sense the meaning in idiomatic phrases.

ŒP“Η‚έ(Kun-Yomi) is the way to speak or pronounce Kanji in Japanese way. It makes the meaning as you just speak or pronounce itself(eg, u“ǁvin On-Yomi is "Doku", I don't understand the meaning if someone said to me "Doku" itself. But if someone says u“ǁvin Kun-Yomi, "Yomu", which means "Read", then I understand the meaning).

Majority of Japanese natives even confuse how to pronounce the particular Kanji quite often, so no need to worry much. You will eventually understand how to pronounce Kanji in Japanese way or Chinese way.
Or use "Kanwa Jiten", Japanese Kanji Dictionary, how to pronounce particular Kanji.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread