Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Hokkaido seafood 2014/6/16 09:22
Hi there,

I will be in Hokkaido for few days and then proceed to Osaka for few days before flying back home in Dec 2014. I know most people buy fresh seafood in Hokkaido and fly back home on the same day. For my case, unlikely I can buy fresh seafood. Perhaps vacuum packed will be alright. But I have these queries:

1. Can I buy those vacuum packed seafood and keep in baggage (in hotel) while touring Osaka?
2. Can those vacuum packed seafood be found in New Chitose airport as well? Any price difference between airport and those from Curb Market/ Nijo Market?

Greatly appreciate if someone can give me some advise. Thank you in advance!
by Ting (guest)  

Re: Buying Hokkaido seafood 2014/6/19 10:43
I will be in Hokkaido for few days and then proceed to Osaka for few days before flying back home in Dec 2014. I know most people buy fresh seafood in Hokkaido and fly back home on the same day. For my case, unlikely I can buy fresh seafood.

I think most tourists buy fresh or frozen seafood and have it send by refrigerated express to their homes. It really wouldn't make sense for you to buy fresh seafood, as it won't last till you get home. Frozen would be a better choice. But be sure to check the import restrictions to your country to make sure it is ok to bring in seafood.

1. Can I buy those vacuum packed seafood and keep in baggage (in hotel) while touring Osaka?

Vacuum packed frozen seafood? That will need to be kept frozen. They can sell you ice packs to keep it cool while you are underway, but if you'll need to get it into a freezer asap. Note that the freezers in most hotel's in-room fridges are totally inadequate for storing frozen seafood.

Processed seafood will fare much better as they usually only require refrigeration or no refrigeration at all.

2. Can those vacuum packed seafood be found in New Chitose airport as well?

Yes, there is a large selection of fresh, frozen, and processed seafood at the airport.

Any price difference between airport and those from Curb Market

The prices and selection are very similar. Maybe slightly more expensive at the airport but generally not by much.

Nijo Market

Yes, but mostly fresh and processed seafood.

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Hokkaido seafood 2014/6/19 15:43
They'll pack with dry ice that can last up to maybe two days, if you ask. Any longer than that, you need to buy and repack yourself with more dry ice.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Hokkaido seafood 2014/6/20 20:28
thank you for the advice, yllwsmrf and amazing!!
by Ting (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread