Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Finding synthetic clothing 2014/6/22 05:38
I am trying to find some synthetic made clothings in Japan, like socks, t-shirts, pants for hiking in Japan. They say synthetics are better in that climate than natural fibers like cotton.

Does 100 yen shops like Daiso have something like that?
by Gar (guest)  

Re: Finding synthetic clothing 2014/6/22 18:34
For socks I would just bring some extra pairs of your usual cotton socks and change them as needed. T-shirts and overpants: there are those made with some "breatheable" and quick-dry materials, yes.

I would try at least UNIQLO shops for "quick dry" T-shirts and other items. If you want real hiking or mountain-climbing gear, you will need to check out more upscale outdoor gear shops.

At 100-yen shops, though, I would not expect to find such specialty clothing. THey will have polyester raincoats (foldable ones), but those do not "breathe" so you will find it extremely hot and humid wearing them.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Finding synthetic clothing 2014/6/22 19:32
I mostly need something to cope with the occational rain. My socks are fine if there is no rain but when it starts they get soaked. And it takes forever to dry, even the hotel drier could not dry them in one go.

I dont like the idea of dragging around on dozens of socks for change so I try to find fully synthetic socks.

I looked at Uniqlo shop online but as far as I could see only cotton socks and pants. So I am rather clueless.
by Gar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Finding synthetic clothing 2014/6/22 21:19
OK, just for occasional rain? I thought you wanted something for serious hiking :)

If you are talking about walking around in town and getting caught in occasional rain, you could just take an extra pair of your regular cotton socks (I didn't mean a lot of them), fold-up umbrella, or fold-up raincoat. I would also recommend some kind of water-repellant walking shoes as well.

For additional comfort, I would recommend buying the quick-dry shirt (should be available from UNIQLO), and light-cloth chino pants (instead of denim pants, which can feel heavy if soaked).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Finding synthetic clothing 2014/6/22 22:38
Oh haha, not too much serious I think :)

I plan on doing a short day hike around Daizetsusan for which I will bring rain gear from home (not sure about breathability, says polyester). Umbrella buy in Japan. Shoes are water repellent and sprayed, will cope for normal rain (not flood) but will bring small plastic bags for feet in case of heavy sudden rain.

I was thinking of doing a two day hike to Fuji summit ut in that case I will rent boots and proper rain gear for safety. But it depends on weather. Other than that, its just city and well, some "rural hike" like Nara, Sakurajima, if you get the idea.

Since I might be far from near shelter or train station it would be a relief if not getting all soaked up.

Most of my cotton socks are rather thick (except for a few) so they take some drying. Thats why I figured better buy some in Japan that dry faster.

"Quickdry shirt"? What kind of shirt would that be? Not sure what to look for.
by Gar (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread