Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shopping for tall girls 2014/6/24 21:24
I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and I'm really excited to buy all sorts of cute clothes I've seen online! :)

I'm a bit worried though, since I'm quite tall (for a girl)

I'm 180 cm (5'9) and wear a EU size 36 (US size 6) and I was wondering how hard it will be to find clothes that will actually fit me.

Is it true that shopmanagers will tell you not to shop/try on their clothes because they think you will never fit them (too fat)?
Even though I'm considered slim in my country, I'm afraid I'll be too big/fat for Japan, hehe.

(be mindful that I've gotten the US sizes via google, no idea how accurate they are ;) )
by Samantha (guest)  

Re: Shopping for tall girls 2014/6/25 08:51
Tops and skirts in general will probably be ok, but you may have trouble with pants. Also a lot of middle-end stores you can find in malls (my favorite brand axes-femme for example) generally only carries M and VERY occasionally L sizes. For the most part it is one-size-fits-all, with the exception of shoes, which are usually S/M/L. S is generally a US shoe size 6, M 7-7 1/2, L 8-8 1/2.

It might help you to check out online sizes of the clothes you're interested in buying/shops you want to go to before, so you know generally what sizes they carry beforehand.

I've had a girl refuse to let me try a shirt on once, but I think it was because it was a "bargain bin" thing and not a size issue. I told her "ok" then walked out. If they refuse to let you try something on, just leave.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping for tall girls 2014/6/25 17:19
@scarreddragon I could never comprehend the SML shoe sizing thing. In any chase, the L and sometimes LL shoes at the shops at Harajuku are incredibly small or maybe my feet at UK5/EU 38 are just too big by Japanese standards.

@Samantha Department stores have the usual numerical sizing but the sizes mostly don't go that big, like max JP 245? That is sometimes smaller than UK5/EU 38 for me.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping for tall girls 2014/6/28 21:26
I am 169cm and was a size europe 40 when I was in Japan few years back, and I tried on a sweater top and it was obviously VERY tight for me, but the sales dude said it's nice, tight is trendy. ':P

Skirts & dresses are too short for me. Shoes difficult to find my size too (size 8).

Don't get your hopes too high, but it'll be fun shopping anyway. :)
by tight_is_trendy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shopping for tall girls 2014/6/29 04:58
It's very hard... I am 180 cm too... Good luck...
by Same (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread