Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/5 01:27
A-lex-us us not Alexis, I know my own name.

I am a boy its a variant of alexander after all and means 'Defender of mankind' it just so happens this version like Alexis is used mostly for girls but is less heard of.

I want to know the kanji for Alexus i know the ones for Alex 上令久守 i went to a name translator for them i don't know if they're right but i went for a similar meaning as its Greek origins

The romanji for alex is arekkasu spelled あれっくすin hiragana and アレックス in katakana

I'd like someone to romanji the name 'alexus' and also put it into 4 or 5 kanji this is so i can already have one picked out and get a citizenship in japan one day, plus it'll drive me crazy if i don't know

P.S: How many kanji are allowed in a name?
by masasumi_okuri-okami (guest)  

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/5 13:24
You can use 2997 kanji characters(General Kanji 2136 + Name Kanji 861) as you register your name.
You need to register your surname and first or given name in one of Kanji, Hiragana or Katakana.

Let's say your name is Smith(Surname) and Alexus(Given name), your Japanese name can be スミス アレクサス(or アレックス). Also すみす あれくさす(あれっくす) seems to be a bit strange but is legally valid.
Or 隅栖アレクサス something like that.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/5 14:11
Alexus,

When people ask for "Japanese name" for their western names, there are two things we can do:

(1) -a. write the name as it sounds phonetically (in katakana writing, normally used to write non-

Japanese, non-kanji words and names),
(1) -b. furthermore, for some names, we could find kanji that have similar or same sounds to the

original name (thus to the katakana writing) and choose a kanji combination that has pleasant

meaning. In this case, the selection of kanji is completely arbitrary and up to the person who

chooses the kanji, as there can be many different kanji that have the same sound.
or
(2) take the original "meaning" of your name in your language, and find a Japanese name/word that

is closest in "meaning" to your name. In this case, the sound can be completely different from the

original name.

So for your name,
(1)-a アレクサス
(1)-b I cannot think of any right now

(2) I cannot think of any right now.

By the way, 上令久守 is a very forced kanji combination, I must say - it does not flow well, and it took me (a Japanese) a long while to see any connection with your name :( It must have been an attempt at mixing (1)-b and (2), because it does have some kanji that mean "guard" and "above".

so i can already have one picked out and get a citizenship in japan one day

Even if you get Japanese citizenship (by that I am assuming Permanent Resident status), you don't have to have kanji name at all. You can go by your name written in alphabets and alias as アレクサス in katakana.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/6 13:57
Just for fun:
http://www.kanjizone.com/kanjiname.aspx?name=Alexus

This site arbitrarily assigns kanji to match the sounds in your name. (So it is (1)-b in my earlier description.)

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/6 19:53
Well kanjizone is were I went to get the kanji for that name and I chose the 4 you described as "very forced"

The 4 I chose were the characters for superior / above, rule/order, eternal and protect

I am glad you didn't totally disregard me as an idiot and or say such in your reply, I have just started really putting effort into learning Japanese and have no idea which lankiest best goes or matches Alexus. And I doubt I'd get protector let alone of mankind

I hope i can learn a kanji that does come close to my name i don't want it to be hard to say my name in 2 languages its hard enough having my name mispronounced in one

You'd think people in the US or any english country would know that a u and an s make us and not -is (like in Alexis)
by MasasumiOkuriOokami rate this post as useful

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/6 20:35
I put in a request for them to add Alexus and I'm glad they did

When I last went there a few days ago Alexus wasn't on it I'm actually surprised they put it on the site and so quick

I redid my name for fun and put everything the same except shu which wasn't there before

The character I chose for shu means discipline so now my name looks like 上令久修守

Is it still forced? probably but I like it lol

I'd rather have a name that wouldn't standout so if anyone knows kanji please help

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/6 21:34
Well, when someone seems to be serious about the language, I am happy to help. But I had to let you know that you don't "have to" use kanji for your name at all :)

By the way, that site assumes that your name is pronounced "a-le-ku-sha-su" with a "sh" in it. Maybe it is pronounced "a-le-ku-sa-su" with clear "s"?

Re: what is the kanji for the name 2014/7/7 05:22
Actually I think you have it right initially they romanji'd the name Alex (the closest I would except to my name which they didn't have at the time) as arekkasu with a small tsu to extend the k. Now they have my name but use a small yo to change shi into shu I'd perfer if they spelled my name with sha.

Both sha and -sasu give off a slightly complex feel and make the -s stand out in my opinion, I'm no native speaker by far so I can't really say what would be easier for the Japanese tongue.Also I've just started back learning my computer crashed right after getting Rosetta stone and it's taken me awhile to get new materials for self teaching

This is my first week back I'm starting with the alphabet first as I know how to form some sentences but never grasped the alphabet from Rosetta. In my first week I can now recognize the vowels a i u e o and the k s t n sets (the long vowel tsu modifier) with their alternative spoken forms g z and d I'm learning 3 more today that's h and the spoken forms b and p

Thanks for the assistance that you have given me and any you might give in the future

reply to this thread