Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translating my name 2014/7/11 17:37
Hello! My name is Angela (I mainly go by Angie). I have been studying Japanese and have been wanting to translate my name into katakana and kanji. I have done a bit of searching, however I want to make sure that I translate my name properly.

For Angela (name meaning: Angel, Messenger and can be Heavenly Messenger), I came across "アンジェラー" for Angela, and "アンジー" for Angie.

Kanji, however, I am unsure of. I love the meaning behind my name, Angel/Messenger/Heavenly Messenger and am looking for something that would cover that meaning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
by YoruameSan  

Re: Translating my name 2014/7/12 09:51
First of all please keep in mind that you don't really "translate" names - your name is what it is :)

When people ask for "Japanese name" for their western names, there are two things we can do:

(1) -a. write the name as it sounds phonetically (in katakana writing, normally used to write non-Japanese, non-kanji words and names),
(1) -b. furthermore, for some names, we could find kanji that have similar or same sounds to the original name (thus to the katakana writing) and choose a kanji combination that has pleasant meaning. In this case, the selection of kanji is completely arbitrary and up to the person who chooses the kanji, as there can be many different kanji that have the same sound.
or
(2) take the original "meaning" of your name in your language, and find a Japanese name/word that is closest in "meaning" to your name. In this case, the sound can be (and mostly likely will be) completely different from the original name.

For your name,
(1)-a: アンジェラ (Angela) or アンジー (Angie).
(1)-b: You can play with this to see which kanji you like for the sound "Angie":
http://www.kanjizone.com/kanjiname.aspx?name=Angie

(2): If the meaning is "angel," then the Japanese word for that is "天使", written and pronounced as "Tenshi."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my name 2014/7/12 14:44
By the way, アンジェラ・アキ is famous pop singer-songwriter, she is called アンジー by her fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esswWGVQe4s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Aki
So アンジェラ and アンジー is familiar.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my name 2014/7/12 15:29
Thank you both so much! (I love when I share a name with someone, heh.)

I visited kanjizone and realized an can be (peaceful, harmony) and ji can be (road, route.) One idea I've had is "Peaceful Road / Route" which is fitting for me, even if it's a bit strange. Is this correct? 平和道

I also love (天使) Tenshi, it's a beautiful word. Thank again for all of your help so far!
by YoruameSan rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my name 2014/7/12 15:38
平和道 says "peace" and "road/the way of..." strung together, but there is no such word in Japanese, and the pronunciation is "Heiwa-do" and has nothing to do with neither the sound nor meaning of your name, and it sounds a bit too solemn for a name, if you know what I mean?

If you want to go by the "sound" of your name to say something similar, the one suggested by kanjizone, namely 安路 would be the combination you can use.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread