Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy a GoPro 2014/7/20 04:14
Hi, I'm going to Tokyo in a month and i'm thinking on buying a GoPro there. I'm from Brazil, and a GoPro is extremely expensive here (arround 750 USD), so I would be glad if you could tell me the best/cheapest places to buy a GoPro in Tokyo. Could you please tell the average price too?! I'm lookimg for a Hero3 White, that's 199USD in the US.
by glribeiro  

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/20 12:57
http://jp.gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition

I am assuming you mean this one. I check on a price comparison site, but they seem to sell them only at the RRP of 25,920 yen everywhere. I would check out Yodobashi or BicCamera (major mass merchandiser shops).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/20 21:53
Tks! I saw that some stores have a 10% point discount. Whats that?
by glribeiro rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/20 22:45
If you sign up at a particular store as a "member," you "earn" certain store "points" mostly when you buy with cash, and you can use the "points" on your next purchase (discount).

So if you bought something at 25,000 yen, you earn 2,500 points, worth 2,500 yen, which you can use on the next purchase.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/21 00:50
Yodobashi Camera sells the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition (The currently best one, able to record in 4k video) at 41.000 JPY, and you can get a 8% tax-free discount by showing your passport.

The Gold point system (10% discount when paid in cash, 8% by card) is a discount offered to members of Yodobashi, I think that requires a Japanese address, but anyway the discount is only applied to your next purchase, so that is a no go for you.
by JapAHV rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/21 00:53
Sorry,

The price for the white model is: 25.920 JPY (With 8% discount that is: 23.850 JPY, approx. 235 USD).
by JapAHV rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/21 00:57
So there's an 8% tax-free discount for foreign tourists? Thats great! Tks a lot for you help!

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/21 08:16
That is still more expensive compared to the MSRP in the US?

Keep in mind that online prices as seen on the sites of BIC and Yodobashi are lower than actual store prices. Sometimes they are willing to match their online prices if you ask, but oftenly not.

ever thought of ordering one online? (like from amazon?) that's what I would do, get it before you travel, get familiar with the camera so that you can start filming right away?
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/21 08:44
Yes, its more expensive compared to US, but it's a lot cheaper than here in Brazil.

I saw in Amazon, and it's even cheaper, 23,561 yen, but I'm a little worried about the hotel receiving the product before I arrive. Is this a common situation / safe option?

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 05:20
I meant ordering from Amazon US at $199? or even from ebay. Much closer to "home" meaning it will be cheaper to send it back if you ever needed warranty, that's what I would do.

My advice is don't waste your precious time in Japan hunting for camera gear. Buy it before your trip? Oftenly prices aren't as good, or they have no stock (ran into this problem several times) and they offer no warranty outside Japan.

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 08:24
That is still more expensive compared to the MSRP in the US?

Once you factor in tax and shipping you're not really saving much, if anything, by buying it from the US. Warranty will be similar as when buying in Japan.

Gopros are extremely popular and easy to find in Japan, so this is one of those situations where it might be good to wait to purchase till you get here.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 08:25
I saw in Amazon, and it's even cheaper, 23,561 yen, but I'm a little worried about the hotel receiving the product before I arrive. Is this a common situation / safe option?

Many hotels will accept amazon packages if they are prepaid and you inform them first. Best to contact the hotel and find out their policies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 08:45
Have you considered buying directly from the company? Their website is here. http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition
by hirosumi rate this post as useful

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 09:18
Guys, tks for all the help. Buying directly from GoPro's website is complicated here from Brazil.

The product is shipped from the US, and here we have an importation tax of 60% of the product for items above 50 USD.

Another problem is custom clearence time that is a total mess, the product can take, 15, days, 60 or even more.

I saw that near our hotel theres a Yodobashi store so it won't be difficult to pass by and buy one. If the price doesn't help there's always the option of buying from Amazon.

Re: Buy a GoPro 2014/7/22 15:41
wow, 60% import tax is outrageous haha.
if you live near the yodobashi, then get it there? do you have a pocket wifi of somesort? if not screencap their online price to show it to them when you ask for a discount, could easily save you couple of thousand yen. (besides tax return, when you pay with visacard you get another 5% if I remember correctly)

reply to this thread