Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation help 2014/8/12 21:47
I am wondering what does the following says?

"送金について調べてみましたが、
価格(1000JPY=約10ドル程度)の倍以上の手数料がかかってしまいまそうです。"
by James (guest)  

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 10:47
"I looked into remittance/money transfer,
but it looks there will be a fee that is more than double the price (1,000 yen = approx. 10 dollars)."

I guess you are trying to do some transaction with someone in Japan? Bank remittance costs something like 3,000 yen. I don't know who is trying to send to who, but you need to think of other ways such as International Postal Money Order (if available for your country) or PayPal.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 16:46
Thanks for the translating and tips AK.

I am actually trying to buy something from him. ..

How I should ask him if he has a Paypal account, if not then use something else such as the Wire transfer or something?...
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 17:06
So you are outside Japan, and he is selling something in Japan (priced at 1,000 yen or so), and you need to send him some money to him in Japan, correct?

You can ask him "Paypalアカウントは持っていますか?海外送金サービスです。" (Do you have a paypal account? It is an overseas remittance service.)

But if it is online auction or something, and he does NOT specifically say that he is happy to ship overseas, or have some English description, it is unlikely that he has one.

One alternative is International Postal Money Order, a type of money order you can buy from a post office (if available in your country at all). Which country are you in?

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 17:11
Thanks for the help.

It isn't an auction actually. I am in Canada.

By Postal Money Order, do you mean like WesternUnion or MoneyGram?
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 17:22
"International Postal Money Order (IPMO)" is something you can ONLY buy at post offices, and is different from Western Union or MoneyGram.

It is vouchers you purchase at a post office, and it has to be purchased in Japanese yen (there will be a fee when you purchase them), and you need to snail mail them. The recipient needs to do some homework too, though - there have been confusion about whether Canada-issued IPMO can be cashed in Japan... and I have not been able to find any definitive answer yet :(

Re: Translation help 2014/8/13 18:26
Unless you both have bank accounts for Japanese banks, as far as I know, Paypal is the best and probably the only way to transfer money worth 1000 yen and still make it worth the transfer. But those who have never done overseas purchase may not have even heard of Paypal.

Send the seller the following link for the official Paypal website in Japan, and encourage him to get an account by writing;

Paypalのアカウントを開設してもらえませんか?
https://www.paypal.jp/jp/home/
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread