Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/13 17:41
So i saw this kanji in youtube, 後 no miru, or in english the watch later list. But i wonder how is it read here?
When is read ato and when nochi?
Thanks!
by Fumichu (guest)  

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/13 23:04
Both "ato" and "nochi" mean exactly the same so it depends on the sentences and "ato" sounds more casual. In this case we read it(後) "ato".
By the way you wrote "後 no miru" but in this sentence we say "後 de miru".
If you want use "nochi", you should say "nochi hodo(後程) miru". We don't say "nochi de miru".
Hope this will help you:)
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 07:25
Speaking of 'ato'/'nochi', I'm confused...I've seen some sentences using, e.g.

'ato suujitsu' or 'ato suushuukan' to mean 'For the next few days', or 'For the next few weeks' (e.g. ato shuushuukan yasumi ga hitsuyou desu - for the next few weeks you need to rest'), but I've also seen the same construction used to mean "After (or in) a few days" or "after a few weeks", which to me are entirely different concepts.
So how you would say "For the next few weeks you need to rest" to distinguish it from "After the next few weeks you need to rest"?

I've tried running this past my Japanese partner and she seemed to have trouble understanding the difference, and could only suggest you might use "kyou kara suu-shuukan" to mean "for the next few weeks starting today", but I can't find any example sentences online that use that construction.
by Dylan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 09:43
☆"ato suujitsu" or "ato suusyuukan"
in this case "ato" means like "more" or "and". You have already something and want to add something you can say "ato ***".
E.g. You have cold and have been absent from school for 2 days and want to rest for 2-3 more days, you say "I need to rest for another few days" - "ato suujitsu yasumiga hitsuyou desu".

☆for the next few weeks
I think you've understood it. This means exactly what you wrote- "kyou kara suu-shuukan" to mean "for the next few weeks starting today"
It's starting today(now) so we don't use "ato" in this case.

☆after the few weeks
simply change the position of "ato".
•ato suushuukan - more (another) few weeks
•suushuukan ato - after the few weeks
When we talk about future things, we put "ato" after the words which express term.

See you later
"mata ato de"

Sorry I'm not perfect at English, and I hope you'll understand my explanations:D
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 14:37
That's great, thanks for the quick response.

So..."kyou kara suu-shuukan yasumi ga hitsuyou desu" - for the next few weeks [starting today] you'll need to rest.

But if you wanted to say "I'm going to Japan for the next few weeks", without specifying exactly which day you were leaving (it could be any time in the next few days), what would you use? If I just used 'suu-shuukan nihon ni ikimasu' couldn't that mean I might be leaving in several months from now, i.e., it's just "I'm going to Japan for a few weeks", rather than specifically "the next few weeks"?

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 14:50
Also, would you agree then the some of the translations on weblio.jp e.g.:

あと数日で寄宿舎へ入る。
After a few days I will be living in a dormitory.

Are wrong - it should be "For a few more days I will be living in a dormitory"?

But it also has this sentence

当機はあと数分で離陸します

Which surely couldn't possibly mean "The plane will be taking off for a few more minutes"...? (The translation supplied is the "common sense" interpretation - "the plane will take off in a few minutes' time")

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 15:28
"I'm going to Japan for the next few weeks"...
[kore-kara (or ima-kara)] suu-shuukan "no uchi ni" nihon ni ikimasu.
Also you can use "inai ni" in place of "no uchi ni".
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 19:12
"I'm going to Japan for the next few weeks"
- watashi wa kongo suusyuukan nihon ni ikimasu.

'kongo' is almost the same meaning as 'ato' but it's more use for when you talk about a term(period).
e.g. "I'll do it"
"ato de yaru(suru)"
it sounds you will do it one time.
"kongo yaru(suru)"
it sounds you will keep doing it for some days, weeks, years or maybe forever it depends on what you put afer "kongo".
actually "kongo" means "from now" but you can say "kongo suusyuukan nihon ni ikimasu" in case you didn't decide exactly when you leave.
If you wanted to say "in several months" you had to add "suukagetu inai ni" at the biginning of a sentence.

It's really complicated to use "ato" but
あと数日で寄宿舎へ入る
is, "After a few days I will be living in a dormitory."

あと数日、寄宿舎へ入る
is, "For a few more days I will be living in a dormitory."

sorry my explanation wasn't enough.
"ato" has two meanings "more or another" and "later", and in this case "ato" means the former one.
important thing is what is put after the term words.
so "de" means "later" or "after" in this sentence.

当機はあと数分で離陸します
this is the same thing. there's "de" after "minutes" so it means "after(in) a few minutes".

I'm not sure If I could help you, but if you need my help feel free to contact me:)
by haru505 rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 21:14
Fantastic - very helpful, thanks.
Just interesting that my partner didn't think "kongo" would be something you'd use in a casual conversation. She agreed 'korekara' was fine.

I'd missed the 'de' in those example sentences, always surprising how much difference one little word can make (even in English!).
Actually I would say in English it's not idiomatic to say "After a few days I'll do x" as a sentence on its own - you'd only use 'after' when some previous sentence had set the context. If you just mean a few days from now, you'd use 'In a few days'.

Japanese words nochi and ato 2014/8/14 23:27
Dear Dylan: Are you the same person as Fumichu who have started this thread? If not, you should start your own thread with the above questions of yours. It is against the guideline to hijack a thread by appending your own questions.
--------

のち [ 後 ] is used mainly concerning time. It usually does not accompany a particle を or で .
のち [ 後 ] often appears in idiomatic expressions.
In a weather forecast 晴れのちくもり [hare nochi kumori] {sunny, later cloudy}, のち is working as a conjunction meaning {later}. Here のち cannot be replaced by あと .

あと [ 後 ] sounds more casual and can be used in a wider range than のち [ 後 ].
あと [ 後 ] can be used concerning time, order or position.
あと in the examples shown below cannot be replaced by のち .

のちに王となった人 [nochi ni ou to natta hito] focuses on the time being, and means {a person who later became a king }.
あとに王となった人 [ato ni ou to natta hito] focuses on the order for the persons to become a king, and means {a person who became a king after the other mentioned persons}.

あと [ 後 ] means {more in addition} when it is followed by a phrase indicating the amount.
あと3日 [ato mikka] means the time span of 3 days from a certain period of time.
(a) あと3日、休む [..., yasumu] means {rest for 3 more days}, with あと meaning {more in addition}.
(b) あと3日で出発する [... de shuppatsusuru] means {depart after 3 days}, with あと meaning {after}.
I suppose we (= native speakers of Japanese) do not intentionally make this difference, but in English, as you know, these two cases are usually expressed differently.
Case (b) can be considered as a variation of Case (a) because あと3日で means {when 3 more days pass}.

あと [ 後 ] can also work simply as a conjunction to add something to say.
Different from のち , あと as a conjunction usually does not mean that the following part is later than the preceding part.
: (in a feedback to a hotel) 夕食はとてもおいしかった。あと、窓からの夜景も良かった。 [Yuushoku wa totemo oishikatta. Ato, mado kara no yakei mo yokatta.]
{The supper tasted very good. And, a night view from the window was also nice.}

Some other examples:

(polite) "あとでお電話します。 [Ato de odenwashimasu.]" (concerning time)
{I will later make a phone call to you.}

あとを追う [ato o ou] (concerning position)
{chase after (person) | follow (person) by doing the same as he/she did}.
: 警察は泥棒のあとを追った。 [Keisatsu wa dorobou no ato o otta.]
{The police chased after the theft.}
: 彼女は彼のあとを追って科学者になった。 [Kanojo wa kare no ato o otte kagakusha ni natta.]
{Following him, she became a scientist.}

後にする [ato ni suru]
(1) (concerning position)
{leave (place)}.
: 大統領はけさ日本を後にした。 [Daitouryou wa kesa nippon o ato ni shita.]
{The president left Japan this morning.}
(2) (concerning order or time)
{do not or decide not to do (thing) first or soon}.
: (Casual) " ちょっと話を聞いてくれる? [Chotto hanashi o kiite kureru?]" {Will you hear me out a minute?} -- " 後にして。 [Ato ni shite. ]" {Not now.}

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/14 23:43
Thanks everyboy for making this clear!
Also Dylan's questions helped me too!
ありがとうございます!
by Fumichu rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/15 09:48
Dylan,

I guess Dylan you missed a very important point:
- Ato 5-fun...
and
- Ato 5-fun "de"...

mean different things.

- Ato 5-fun matte kudasai. (Please wait for five more minutes.)
- Ato 5-fun de owarimasu. (It will finish in five more minutes.)

Fumichu,
The phrase "watch later" list must have been 後で見る (ato "de" miru), not "ato NO miru," I believe? "Ato de" is a common phrase for "later," as in "see you later (again)" "mata ato de.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/15 11:05
Sorry and thank you, Dylan. I misread that basic English...

By the way, as Dylan said, "kongo" is a bit formal/stiff expression, but maybe haru505 thought that kongo(今後) is suitable for this thread about ato(後) or nochi(後).
Because both of korekara(これから) and imakara(今から) have no that Kanji.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/15 12:11
Actually looking more closely at

あと数日で寄宿舎へ入る

You suggested that removing the 'で' would change the meaning to "for a few more days I live in a dormitory", but would you really still use the verb '入る' in that case?

And either way, is

数日あとで寄宿舎へ入る

at all different? I.e. it's the 'で' rather than the the position of '数' that makes a difference?

And what about

数日あと寄宿舎へ入る

?

(BTW I think the main reason I find actually learning new languages so hard is that I hung up on all these little things, but I find them oddly fascinating!)

Re: Kanji reading: ato or nochi? 2014/8/15 12:21
(Also, is there any general guideline as to when to use hiragana or kanji for 'ato' - both seem to be pretty common?)

reply to this thread