Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Interviewing a Sumo Wrestler 2014/8/23 21:50
Yeah, I know I'm probably shooting at the impossible here, but I'm doing an honorarium project for my degree, and it is a video documentary on Japanese culture (both modern and older). I'm going to attend the final day of the Fukuoka sumo tournament, and I got to thinking that sumo is a wonderful cultural activity with very complex traditional roots, and it would make a fantastic addition to the documentary.

However, I cannot even hope to expect that "popular" rikishi or yokozuna would speak to me. So I was wondering if it might be possible to speak with the lowest-ranking sumo (the ones who haven't officially been added to the competition rosters), perhaps at a stable somewhere. My questions are not complex, and they'd take all of maybe 15 minutes for the entire interview.

Do you think this might be at all possible, and if so, how should I start the process? (I speak Japanese, but not fluently. I will be able to ask my questions in Japanese and understand the answers mostly.)
by sabledragonrook  

Re: Interviewing a Sumo Wrestler 2014/8/24 14:00
You might want to contact some stables called "Sumo Beya" at first.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Interviewing a Sumo Wrestler 2014/8/25 13:03
To find a list of Sumo Beya, check on the nihon sumo kyokai website, and under the heading on the left of All About Sumo they have a topic heading leading to the Rikishi and Sumo Beya lists.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interviewing a Sumo Wrestler 2014/8/25 13:37
Just to add to my previous post, since you are intending to be in Fukuoka for the November Basho, it might be worth contacting info@japan-kyushu-tourist.com or phoning them on 093 521-8897 (english spoken) as they do Sumo stable & Dazaifu tours (where rikishi practice prior and throughout Nov. tournament appearances)
As for an interview don't know your luck, but worth asking ahead of time anyway.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interviewing a Sumo Wrestler 2014/8/25 21:53
AH, LoveJapan, thank you! My main problem has been finding email addresses, since although I can speak Japanese, arranging all this on the phone is going to be a bit rough (I'm a bit slow on producing accurate keigo) ;) The Nihon Sumo Kyokai itself doesn't seem to have an email, so I will try the email in Kyushu like you suggested.

The beya seem to all be in Tokyo (I guess I knew that but wanted to check anyway), and my time in Tokyo is very limited, and after that I'll be in Hikone -- too far away from Tokyo to call it a cheap trip to get there.
by sabledragonrook rate this post as useful

reply to this thread