Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/25 18:52
My Japanese husband told me that he had filed a Kyogi Rikon last month. He told me that even though I refused to sign the Rikon Todoke, he can still divorce me as I am a foreigner. I suspected that he has forged my signature on top of falsifying his certificate of resident. We all live in Singapore and prior to submitting the Rikon Todoke, he changed his residency status from Singapore to Japan so that he can divorce using Japan law as oppose to Singapore law.

He has been dodging my request for Rikon Todoke, Rikon Todoke Jurishomeisho and Koseki Tohon. At first he said his government only gave him Koseki Tohon (I have yet to seen it) and just now he said it takes awhile for the government to produce the papers, so I need to wait.

My questions:
1. When do you receive Rikon Todoke and Rikon Todoke Jurishomeisho after you submit them? Do you receive a receipt when you submit it i.e Rikon Todoke with the ward's stamp acknowledging that the paper has been received?

2. These documents: Rikon Todoke and Rikon Todoke Jurishomeisho do you have to request them or the government will mail it to you? How long is the process. It's been almost a month since he submitted.

3. Those that were in a similar situation, do you have any advice? Can I file a legal suit against him for forging my signature and falsifying the cert of residency? What's the process?

4. Today I tried to contact few lawyers to help me in getting these documents from the ward. No reply so far. Anybody can recommend a good divorce lawyer for Hyogo prefecture area?

My goal is to obtain these papers, and fight for my son's child support. We have a young son and he has only verbally agreed to a very small amount of child support, barely enough to cover his food let alone his school fees, health insurance, other expenses.

Many thanks for your help.
by Efbe  

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/25 21:59
I would suggest joining the online group MIJ for women married to Japanese men. Alternatively there is the fee paying AFWJ which is more structured.

I know from the experience of a friend you can submit a form that prevents your spouse from divorcing you without your knowledge. I don't know more than that I am sorry.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/25 22:40
It's •sŽó—“Í fujuritodoke that you should file to the city hall. It prevent tmarriage or divorce without your approval. Once it is accepted, itis valid until you withdraw it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/25 23:20
Thanks, I just found out about fujuritodoke...it's probably too late assuming he has submitted the paper.

Problem is although my spouse visa is still valid, I am not sure if I would be able to enter into Japan using that visa. If I can't enter Japan, then I can't obtain the papers. I am hoping that lawyer can help me with that. But so far I still have not received any reply from all 5 lawyers that I contacted.
by Efbe rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/25 23:22
how to submit "Rikon todoke" without your signature ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/26 11:07
How about looking for a Japanese law firm in Singapore instead?

The lawyers are mostly Japanese who have practised in Japanese before and would have the knowledge to advise on Japanese law. Their counterparts in Japan can do the necessary legal paper work. It would be more convenient for you to contact them as well and without having to make overseas calls which can be costly in the long run.

I don't have any in mind though.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/26 11:40
Problem is although my spouse visa is still valid, I am not sure if I would be able to enter into Japan using that visa.

You should be ok to reenter as your visa remains valid even after your divorce. Btw, if you are in fact divorced then you'll need to notify immigration within 14 days.

how to submit "Rikon todoke" without your signature ?

As she mentioned, her husband probably forged her signature. It's not legal, but its also not unheard of.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Dodgy Divorce 2014/8/26 14:49
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I have two lawyers responded so far. One is from a small establishment who would only help if I go to Kobe & meet them face to face.

Another one ...bigger firm(hopefully won't break my bank) seems to be able to help without me being present in Kobe.

I have heard conflicting information about using spouse visa when you have divorced. Last thing I need is to get deported or rejected by immigration. I'll check with the lawyer on this. If they can give me assurance that I can enter with my spouse visa, I don't mind going there to settle this.

If anyone has any experienced in the process of submitting Kyogi Rikon Todoke, appreciate your help.

Thanks,
by Efbe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread