Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/26 02:52
I'm having such a hard time finding a Kaiseki restaurant that is no more than approximately $200USD/per person (inclusive of taxes and gratuities)... I keep seeing the same names that pop up Kikunoi, Roan Kikunoi, Kitcho, Chihana...

The reviews I find from tripadvisor seems like people are going based on the Michelin rated factors/celebrity chefs and I'm just worried those are all overhyped restaurants.

I just want really good food where the quality/price are in a good ratio. I'm totally fine with a non-Michelin rated places that are just as good.

Someone said Gion Namba is good and i have reservations there already... but if someone can offer a better suggestion or 1st hand experiences, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help!!
by Kristy Liang (guest)  

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 01:16
They are Michelin starred for a reason
They are they good to meet the cut
The best in Kyoto is the one in the Kyoto station hotel
But that's expensive

If you don't mind modern fushion kaiseki, not that traditional but less than a hundred, go for giro giro hitoshima
Along that gion potoncho river
Kawa I think?
South of potoncho

It crowded
Reservation number is 0753437070
The people don't really know English
I used google translate and just repeated
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 01:37
Try Giro Giro.
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 11:44
I'm having such a hard time finding a Kaiseki restaurant that is no more than approximately $200USD/per person (inclusive of taxes and gratuities)... I keep seeing the same names that pop up Kikunoi, Roan Kikunoi,

Kikunoi serves lunch from Y8000 (c. $80), Roan Kikunoi from Y4000 (c. $40). Either one is quite a bit less than $200.

Here are a few more:
http://www.bento.com/kansai/kc-kyoryori-ky.html

Try Giro Giro.

Giro Giro is also an interesting option, although as the poster above mentioned, it's quite modern and not really kaiseki. It's very good though, and worth a visit.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 14:02
The lunch has a shigure meishi bento? What's that? It isn't kaiseki?
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 14:13
Thanks! Sounds like Giro Giro is one I should add to my trip! Website is hard to navigate.

Have any of you been there or just referrals?

by Kristy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 21:19
Been
That's why I have the number. Had to pay for international call. But it's worth it.

Their site is indeed hard to navigate. In fact, it seems to serve no purpose.
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/27 23:35
Yes, I ate at Giro Giro last month. The food was quite creative and very appealing. Seating was at a rather cramped counter, and the man next to me was smoking, but he stopped when I asked about no-smoking seats (there aren't any).

The lowest-priced lunch at Roan Kikunoi is about the same price though, with more refined preparation (and also more comfortable seating).

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/28 13:55
Is roan kikunoi better for lunch than giro giro? Or between roan, giro giro, Gion nanba.... Is there a preference?
by Kristy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/29 02:36
What is the name of the kaiseki restaurant in Kyoto Station?
by lilien (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/29 10:21
Is roan kikunoi better for lunch than giro giro?

That's what I was hinting at, yes. (Note that it's Roan lunch vs. Giro Giro dinner though; GG isn't open at lunchtime.) They're both very good, but Roan Kikunoi is more of a serious kaiseki experience. They're different enough that you can do both (and still come in under $100).

Gion nanba.

Sorry, haven't been there....

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto - November 2014 2014/8/29 10:24
What is the name of the kaiseki restaurant in Kyoto Station?

There's a branch of Kitcho and a branch of Wakuden in the Kyoto Station complex.
http://www.bento.com/kansai/ka-kystation.html

reply to this thread