Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing Katakana name? 2014/8/28 08:26
Hi,

maybe this sounds like an odd question and totally wannabe, but I really want to hear your opinions on this matter:

I'm from Germany, but since 3 generations ago my great-great-grandfather or so came from Poland (and married a German woman), I got a Polish surname.
Since I and my family don't have any connections to Poland, neither did anyone ever speak or learn Polish.
So we pronounce our surname in a German way.
Still it bothers me, since I have a feeling of proclaiming a foreign culture for myself by having a foreign surname.

In Japanese, the Katakana version sounds even more Polish and I can't really identify myself with its sound.
So would it be possible to change the Katakana version?
Like shifting the sounds more towards the German version and shortening a bit since the name is really long?
It would be also less complicated to pronounce for Japanese speakers then.

Hopefully I won't get a poopiestorm now, neither I want to sound wannabe, nor to insult any nationality with this post.
by Sagasu  

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/8/28 09:54
No problem. You are welcome to transliterate your name into katakana however you like.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name?:from Japanese 2014/8/29 17:20
We can write Polish name in Katakana,and pronounce it.

For example,Robert Lewandowski is very famous in Japanese football fans,and we write his name in Katakana.
by Fukamin rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/8/29 18:00
For your information, the name Robert Levandowski is written in katakana as:
ロベルト・レヴァンドフスキ
ro-be-ru-to re-va-n-do-fu-su-ki
...as pronounced in the original Polish name, I suppose.

(If you go by the more English pronunciation, his first name would be written as "ro-ba-a-to." I guess you are talking about this kind of differences in pronunciation of your name, between German and Polish.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/8/29 19:57
These are really helpful and reassuring answers, thank you all :)

And yes, AK gave a good example for a different pronounciation transcripted by varying Katakana :)

My name contains also a "wski" at the end, this alone would make up 3 syllabies in Katakana (フスキ) which is really long.
I don't really want to publish my name openly in the internet, but the Katakana version I have in mind would be カツキー, so that would be shorter, easier to pronounciate and to remember. Especially since I also have a kinda complicated and long given name (which is neither Polish, nor German ^^').

Do you think this could be appropriate? Or does it sound too wannabe Japanese?
by Sagasu rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/9/1 05:25
It doesn't sound "wannabe" Japanese at all, because all foreigners in Japan (at least those that are from countries that don't naturally use chinese characters in their names) have katakana names.

It would sound "wannabe" if you wanted the meaning of your German name translated into kanji so that you could use that as your name.
by A Guy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/9/1 08:51
I don't know how this relates to "wannabe" Japanese, but if you want to have your name pronounced that way, and you want your name to appear that way, AND if (provided you are in Japan with your family for example) your family agrees to it, you can have that as "alias" katakana name for yourself. It's just that the pronunciation (and the katakana writing that represents it) is way off your original name as it is pronounced, people might just wonder why :)

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Changing Katakana name? 2014/9/2 07:34
Thank you again for your reassuring answers :)
I just thought it might sound strange, because there is a similiar sounding Japanese name (Katsuki; e.g. 香月).
But I think, I will stick with カツキー :)
by Sagasu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread