Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what can my name mean? 2014/9/11 06:38
Hello, I'm looking for a Japanese name to be called, I thought about using Kisuke, but I don't know any meaning behind it, besides, I got it from an anime character, what about Keisuke, so people can call me Kei for short, but I still don't know if it is good for Japan, any recommendations is fine.
by Kisukeyo  

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/11 14:07
The rare than keisuke, but there are also named kisuke.
In particular, Šì• is famous.
It means that Šì= joy.
It means •= help, aid.
This name is also the name of the beef tongue shop.
However, it is an image, such as the name of the townspeople of Edo period.
‹K‰î is a little modern.
I think also the other, that there is a combination of Chinese characters.

by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/11 14:15
Lol? wow...
by CherryLemonLime rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/11 14:45
Hello, I'm looking for a Japanese name to be called, I thought about using Kisuke, but I don't know any meaning behind it, besides, I got it from an anime character, what about Keisuke, so people can call me Kei for short, but I still don't know if it is good for Japan, any recommendations is fine.

Do you mean like an alias to use on the internet or do you mean to adopt a Japanese name for use while living in Japan?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/12 00:44
Yes. I am looking for a name to be called in Japan, because I am going there for college.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/12 07:59
In that case I would reconsider, as it is not common for foreigners to adopt Japanese nicknames when in Japan. It inevitably ends up either confusing or tedious as you have to explain time and again why you have a Japanese name but aren't Japanese.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/13 01:17
It's hard for Japanese people to pronounce my name, so when I pick a Japanese name I will change that to my middle name so I can use it.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/13 02:01
Since there is not much English ability, I was the wrong meaning.
Usually, foreigners do not use the name of the Japanese.
It may be used as a nickname.
In the case of keisuke, you may be abbreviated as kei-chan and kei-kun.

by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/15 02:06
But I'm changing it to my middle name so it would be a real part of my name.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/15 08:09
But I'm changing it to my middle name so it would be a real part of my name.

^^ You mean you're officially going to change your name to add in a Japanese name in it? That just seems really strange to me.
by Hello (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/15 11:08
It's where I'm going to live so, it is fine.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/16 04:47
No its not. Its really strange. There are hundreds of thousands of foreigners in Japan and none of them do that.
Japan isn't China you know. Japanese and westerners generally have little trouble pronouncing each others names if not perfectly at least consistently and workably.
by not the walrus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/16 10:03
I know, I had a Chinese friend who name is Stephanie Chan, and she was born and raised in China.

I have a Japanese friend and her nick name is Kate.

So why can't this work the other way around.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/16 11:59
In Japan we do not have "middle name" system in the first place. Japan is not China.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/17 10:03
So can I aleast have it as a nick name

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/17 21:42
Can't you base it on your real name?

I mean obviously don't know your real first name, but e.g. Donald gets shortened to Don and so on.

TBH, if I meet someone who has no Japanese ancestry but wants to be called by a Japanese name, I side-eye them.

My adopted father's name is Lothar, obviously hard to pronounce for the Japanese and cumbersome to write in katakana, but he managed fine for 4 years.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/18 12:06
ok, but how about just a nick name for close friends?

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/18 13:19
If you really want a nickname in Japanese while staying in Japan, you can tell your friends so.

However, your friends would find it very strange that you want to use a Japanese name which has no association or same/similar meaning or pronunciation to your original name. (Especially the one you chose "Kisuke" which is used only in a costume play for commoners in Edo settings...)

Maybe you can as your friends to give you a Japanese name, then they'll come up with a better one?

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/18 17:23
I have a Japanese friend and her nick name is Kate.

So why can't this work the other way around.

Because culturally it isn't common and tends to cause more problems than it solves. In the worst case you may end up negatively stereotyped for trying too hard to appear Japanese. Of course, you are welcome to use a Japanese alias, just be prepared to answer questions about your heritage.

So can I aleast have it as a nick name

Sure. But also consider a shortened version of your regular name or last name instead. For example, if your name was Kisukeyo then you could go as Ki-chan, or Ki-kun. In this case, it wouldn't matter if your name was pronounceable in Japanese or not.

Re: what can my name mean? 2014/9/19 08:49
Thank you all for your input.

reply to this thread