Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 12:04
I'm looking for some chestnut pods as props for photos. Does anyone know where we can buy or collect them?

Here's what they look like:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxm4Pq9CMAASiPB.jpg
by Saus (guest)  

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 16:09
Do they need to be real? I've seen fake ones at Daiso/dollar stores.

If they need to be real, head out into a bit of the outskirts of Tokyo, look around for a tree, and ask to grab some if you find the person around. They may or may not let you have some. Wear gloves, they hurt.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 17:30
Sometimes flower shops carry chestnuts pods for ornamental purposes, with or without branch. But it is quite seasonal and not all the flower shops handle them.
If artificial ones are OK, you might also try LOFT or Tokyu Hands.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 21:13
If it's just for photos and not for eating, there's a whole bunch of natural chestnut trees in the countrysides in Japan. Now is its season.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 23:13
Thanks for the help.
I've never seen them in Tokyu Hands or loft before. Are they seasonal in the shop?
by Saus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/16 23:33
I'm not 100% sure, but when I went to LOFT in Ginza this summer, they have flowers (artificial but very well made, quite life-like) flowers and some of them were seasonal - morning glories and sunflowers. So I guess they should have something autumnal at this time of year.

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/18 00:37
I can't recall seeing fresh flowers in Loft or Hands branches, but then I've been going to the smaller ones (because the big ones closed down).

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/18 11:38
Uco, I've said "If artificial ones are OK, you might also try LOFT or Tokyu Hands." in my second previous post.

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/18 15:37
Thanks for all the help. I prefer real chestnuts (the spiky ones) but artificial will do.

If anyone has actually seen them in Tokyu Hanrs or Loft recently please let me know. It'll save me time looking around if I can go directly there. I'll be in Tokyo in November!
by Saus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/18 21:23
Whoops! I'm sorry, Guest.

Re: Where can we buy/collect chestnut pods? 2014/9/18 21:28
Today I went to Daiso 100yen shop, and found artificial pods on a branch as well as other autumnal decoration such as maple leaves.

If you come in November, I'm not sure if they are still available, though. It will be winter and those seasonal srtuff will be replaced by something with snow and Christmas. I guess that it is the same with real ones...?

I looked up the info anout the farms in kanto area where you can pick up chestnuts, most of them are open till mid-end of October. November might a bit too late for the season.

reply to this thread