Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/21 21:02
Is there any place in Tokyo or Osaka which has has kimonos and yukatas?

Is there any way to tell if/whether a kimono is of high quality? And does a 2nd hand kimono mean that its previous owner has sold it off for various reasons?

by welles (guest)  

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 09:57
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 10:10
Is there any way to tell if/whether a kimono is of high quality?

The price is the most obvious way. Otherwise, you just have to trust the shopkeeper or your own senses.

In fact, I think many people regardless of their nationality can "sense" the difference between good things and bad. For example, I would see a pile of foreign fabric on sale and see a much more attractive one on the side and realise that the price is much higher as well.

But quality kimono is usually much more delicate and difficult to handle. If you don't know the proper way to store and clean quality kimono, perhaps you should stick to bargains.

You can also make your kimono attire look more attractive by using the right accessories, meaning "han-eri" collars, "obihimo" belt straps and under garments. A good shopkeeper has good recommendations.

By the way, apart from souvenior shops, authentic yukata is only available during the summer, so you won't see them now that it's September.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 10:38
oh wonderful great info here. I hope price alone isn't the only indicator of quality. I'm hoping to get a kimono for a dress display so something classic and timeless would be great.

And though it is fall, do you think the shops might keep some yukata stocks in their inventory? just in case of tourists like me.
by welles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 13:43
As I mentioned, yukata for tourists are available at touristical spots such as airports.

By the way, I hope you are aware that a decent ready-sawn kimono usually cost more than 50000 yen. A quality one would cost five times as much or more. You can get brand new washable polyester ones for less than 8000 yen, though. They come in beautiful designs and from a distance would look like silk. They're sold at most kimono shops.

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 14:10
Price isn't the only indicator of quality; you can get high quality kimono/yukata for a cheaper price, but it can sometimes take some hunting. Since you're looking for a nice kimono for display purposes (maybe like a furisode or kakeshita, something like that), finding one with a few stains here or there that makes it unwearable is ideal for display purposes, especially since depending on where the stains are they might not be noticeable on display.

Buying a brand new kimono is like buying a used car... the moment you "drive it off the lot" so to speak, it sinks to a 10th of its value. However selling your used/unwanted kimono can be for a lot of reasons... aforementioned stains or small tears make it unwearable; you are moving and space is needed; a relative died who had a collection you no longer want; etc. Today, many people don't bother buying kimono, and instead just rent when they want one for an occasion. So used stores often carry a lot of stock.

Just to give some ideas on prices, a friend found a nice, unstained furisode for just 500 yen (5 USD) at a flea market in Saitama for me. It's an older style, but the mums are hand-sewn. It's a really nice piece! I also bought a beautiful like-new wedding kakeshita at a used kimono store that was going out of business. It is flawless! I think I got it for around 15000 yen (150 USD). I've also gotten slightly stained pieces for display purposes for very cheap. So yes, in some cases price does denote quality, that isn't so all of the time.

For used yukata, I recommend the same used kimono stores, but also used clothing stores such as Hard Off/Off House (a Book Off brand). They have a good collection year-round; I've gotten some great yukata through them for cheap, like 300-500 yen.

When judging quality, use your best judgement. Are there any stains? Is it wearable? How prominent are said stains, if any? What does the fabric feel like? Is there any embroidery? Etc. Etc.

And in the end, if you find a kimono that you love, who cares about quality? If you're going to display it, find one you like!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 14:12
And one more thing... you can absolutely find used yukata. Used kimono stores carry them, as do the mentioned Off House chains year-round. Also, I find them year-round on sites like yahoo auctions; you must be a member to buy from there, though. But if you maybe have a friend in Japan who can help you, that would be ideal.

Brand-new yukata are pretty seasonal though!

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 14:37
I got a lovely secondhand kimono for display, at a sale in Takashimaya of kimonos and obi's that they had rented out, and I got another one at a second hand kimono store in Jiyugaoka, in the older arcade mall by the station.
This is also for display and cost me around USD 300.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/22 19:17
Great info everyone. I have discretionary spending possibly around $800USD so I presume I can get quite a decent kimono, maybe even a brand new one. I may not have the time to search high and low for a bargain so the biggest kimono or secondhand kimono shop will have to do. Is there one, like a megastore?

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/23 10:47
How about checking out Ichiroya? (http://www.ichiroya.com) They have a storefront/warehouse in Kyoto you can visit. If you browse through the site and see one you like, they can actually hold it at their shop for you to pick it up if you speak with them directly. And if you let them know what you are looking for, they can work with you in English. I've bought from them before, and they are very honest in their descriptions. I always like what I get!

Otherwise, I know there is a big used kimono store in Kyoto, but I can't remember the name; I know its within walking distance of Kyoto Station but can't remember details. If someone else knows which one I'm talking about, hopefully they'll chime in; if not, I'll see if I can search for the correct one.

In Tokyo I like browsing around Ameyoko (Ueno Station) as they have lots of little shops selling goods. I don't know specifically of a bigger warehouse in Tokyo, but I'm sure there are a number... I'm just not as familiar with them there as I am in my own area.

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/9/23 15:31
Just realised how tacky it is. Kimono megastore. Fortunately shopping is its own reward. Thanks!

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/8 20:33
In Kyoto and Tokyo, there is a second hand Kimono shop called "Chicago".
In Kyoto it's in the covered shopping arcade and in Tokyo on Omotesando street.
I bought a nice second hand kimono from them. There is some stains but nothing that make it unwearable.
by nekochan07 rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/9 07:45
We has a terrific time shopping around for kimonos (more browsing than anything else). We found a few by accident while visiting Asakusa and saw that you can even rent one to wear for just a couple of hours. What a cute idea but probably impractical in such humid weather. Spent a little too much time browsing at other stuff and it took almost half the day to just see everything.

In the end we bought a used kimono at an antique mall in Ginza near our hotel and it cost a little over $350, everything included. For yukatas, it cost us about $55 each and we are quite thrilled about it though I can't think of an occasion to wear it, maybe a pool party?

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/9 18:02
I wouldn't wear it anywhere it could get wet... any summer sort of festival you could wear it, or if you live near a college or in a bigger city, there might be Japanese events in your area that you could wear one to. Also just walking around is fine, you don't have to find an excuse if you just want to wear one! Also sometimes there are kimono clubs that will do meet ups where everyone wears something.

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/9 18:06
Yukata is about the only Japanese traditional clothing you can get wet in! Watch our for your obi, though.

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/10 10:52
Not if it's a navy dye, that stuff bleeds everywhere! I've had navy yukata bleed onto obi and other stuff just from sweat as I wore it. OP, wash it a few times by itself (fold it into a bag to keep from wrinkling or shrinking, you can also had wash to get the dye out), especially if it's navy!

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/10 18:49
yes i was told the color might run in the yukata so i have no intention of jumping into the pool, more of a halloween costume party to come as a geisha.

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/10 20:49

Don't use a yukata to dress up as a geisha, or better don't dress up as geisha for halloween
by Belnea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/11 08:50
NHK World introduced Antique Mall Ginza for low priced second hand kimonos. Yukata can be had at a tourist shop like in the Asakusa Station building.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: kimonos and yukatas 2014/10/11 10:11
just something fun to wear. can't go in the same costume again.

reply to this thread