Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/28 11:54
Does anyone have any idea how long a movie usually stays in a theater in Japan? There's a movie that I want to watch and it will be released on Oct 4th. However I won't be in Japan until the 3rd of week of November. What are the chances of me being able to catch this movie in Japan?

Thank you in advance.
by footprints (guest)  

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/28 16:13
Sometimes popular movie will be screened for more than one month.
However, a normal movie is about one month.
Then, there is also likely to be screened at such double feature.
I can not answer the movie you want to see and do not know.

by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/28 17:22
What is the name of movie and where the theater is?
It depends on the movie and theater. Private theaters normally run for two weeks. Large theater normally run for one or more month.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 02:35
Thank you haro1210 and tokyofriend48. The movie is Higurashi no Ki (哃m‹L). I know it will be shown at Toho theaters.
by footprints (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 09:25
Where I saw the website, the day of the screening end has not been listed yet.
Maybe, I think after the screening began, and it will be extended if there is popular.
If since the beginning of November, it might give you the full details.

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 11:55
Thank you, haro1210 for following up with an answer!

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 15:22
It's depending on the popularity of movie but "Higurashinoki" seems to be a popular movie, so I guess the movie runs for 1.5-2 months.
You can be post again in November about the movie, and the theater you will be attending then I can phone to the theater whether the movie is still on or not. Send me a direst message in Nov before you depart for Japan(Note clearly the theater you intend to visit(eg, Toho Cinema Roppongi, Shinjuku etc).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 17:54
I want to find a dvd movie about Iya.
Anyway knows?
Thanks
by kopbirt rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 19:05
We can't tell yet, but I think you still have a good chance of seeing it in Japan in late November.

Guessing from the promotion and the number of theaters it's playing at, the movie is on a high budget. That means that they have the luxury of running it for a long time and will be expecting enough sales to pay for that.

Even if most theaters finish showing it, the movie is likely to be passed down to smaller theaters. The following link is a list of theaters from the movie's official website. The list will be renewed as soon as new information comes in. If you have problems with language barrier, let someone read the list for you when the time comes for you to come to Japan.

http://gekijyo.toho-movie.com/theater.php?no=230
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 21:15
To kopbirt
The DVD of the movie called Iya monogatari (story), release is still undecided.
http://iyamonogatari.jp/contents/renewal-en.htm

Re: Length of movie in theaters 2014/9/29 21:35
Thank you for the kind offer, tokyofriend48! I will message you in November if I still haven't found out the answer.

Also, thank you Uco for providing me with that link. I didn't think to look at Toho's website for whatever reason.

reply to this thread