Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/5 14:00
I host Japanese students one at a time in my home in the United States. Each of them has consumed huge amounts of orange juice. Perhaps you can tell me why this is so?
by Heidi Levy (guest)  

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/5 17:05
What other beverages do you they have available at your house? It may be the one they are most familiar with.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/5 18:33
I don't know where in the States you are, but so far from my experience in the States generally I found the air quite dry that I was going to the water fountain (where available, for example, in the office) quite often... if it's at someone's home, I would have to check out their fridge, or ask if there is any mineral water or, orange juice, or something :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/5 19:00
Because the United States is all about orange juice. I used to live there as a youth, so I know.

If you have fresh squeezed or something similar, it's one of the best things you can get in the world. In Japan, you could hardly get them unless you travel to certain stores, and it would be quite expensive (You can get cheap orange juice, but hardly not of that quality).

On the other hand, there may not be much other options that the average Japanese would want to drink in the U.S.. Many beverages are too sweet and other juices (such as grapefruit) can be a bit too strong. And as suggested, the dryness as well as the sun naturally makes your body want to take in more vitamin C.

If the amount of consumption is a problem for you, try to keep ones of poor quality such as Minutemade. But you'll be allowing your guests to have great experiences by providing them fresh American type orange juice.

Meanwhile, the Japanese generally drink a lot of tea (such as green tea or wheat tea) with no sugar. In a recent visit to the U.S., I found Honestea very good too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/6 01:10
When I visit the states, the selection at gas stations is really poor... everything has way too much sugar in it. I'm used to drinking tea with nothing else, but I can never find a tea that doesn't have pounds of sugar in it. I can't drink orange juice so I usually grudgingly settle for water, but my husband drinks a lot of it. Generally you can get it without a ton of sugar, so it is preferable to the other crap.

It could also depend on your selection of beverages. If the choice is between orange juice or water, I think kids especially will go for orange juice!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/6 03:40
Thank you for your answers.
I am glad that I have available good orange juice for the students. It sounds like it is a treat for them and I want to be a good host.
I do have lots of different kinds of tea available, too, including three types of green tea.
The water where I live is also extremely good - healthy and good-tasting.
Again, I thank you for your answers. They have been very helpful.
by HEidiLevy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/6 22:55
Like Uji said, it could be familiarity. When I visited Japan I noticed very little crossover in brands and flavors between what's commonly available there and in the US, so if someone wants to stick to something they know they like then juice and Coca Cola are almost the only options!
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/7 01:17
You want to be a good host but you don't want to break the bank
by SomeGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/9 19:20
This is intrested in :)

Young Japanese not so like Japanese tea except black tea
and also some not good carbonated water,milk,coffee,water of bottle and more
but depend on effects from his/her family and friends.(you,too)

Ask him/her(?) again about "suki-kirai[好き嫌い](likes and dislikes)".
Maybe just good matching his/her taste or just no choise.

If girl she worrys about high "cal" for diet
bc your country foods taste not so bad
but larger amount meet/salad and many sugars in usual,isn't it?
(All Japanese don't think so but a lot of)

Can you upload refrigerator and regular menu pics?
by Luffy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese students drink so much orange juice 2014/10/12 09:11
Get some Matcha green tea. It's not the same as 'green tea' leaves. You don't infuse it in water like black tea leaves. It is powdered leaf: you mix it with water creating a suspension and drink it. It's believed to be quite healthy.

You can also buy boxes of 5 sachets of Pocari Sweat powder on ebay. 1 sachet makes a litre. It's sold as a 'sports drink'. It's a mild, citrus drink with a very light hint of fizz. Very refreshing.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread