Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/9 20:16
So basically I plan to go back to Tokyo after staying Osaka for 3 days.

During my last 4 days of Tokyo, I plan to spend it mainly buying souvenirs for my family, and colleagues, and some stuff for me like Manga (Which can be quite heavy if I have a few)

I was wondering if anyone can direct me to where I can get a cheap large suitcase (Hard case is preferable) The wheels are probably more important since I will have a cabin bag, backpack and the large so will need to be able to wheel it around back to Narita airport.

I have read about Ameyoko and Donki, but so far none of them look that cheap. Plus the information is quite dated.

Could someone provide me with some updated suggestions? I am staying in Nippori, if any one knows of anything nearby that is great, if not aslong as I can get to it within the JR Loop Line that will be great.
by Shintai  

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/10 15:49
I have bought luggage at Donki and also check out Aeon Justco and other cheaper suburban department stores like Daiei and Seiyu. I've thought their specials have been well priced. If you are member of Costco their Kirkland brand is well priced.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/10 16:31
Thanks for then suggestions, I mwill try looking for these stores. Will give Donki another try, and ameyoko. Spo far the cheapest is cabin bag 4000yen. Large ones are 10000yen and above so far.

Anyone else have any more suggestions?
I have seven days left, so any additional suggestions is always welcomed.
by Shintai rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/11 13:25
Anyone got any suggestions for Osaka?
Since I am here, might as well look around and see. So if anyone has any idea where to find cheap luggage or cabin bag, I will be happy to know.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/12 18:04
We've bought 3 "travel house" brand from Amazon JP and have been very happy with them. Far cheaper than I can buy in Australia- and shipped by Amazon to our hotel quickly.
Loads of great colours too- easy to identify on the airport conveyor belt.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/12 20:07
Thanks for the replies, how about a large bag, anyone know where I can buy a large bag, that has a decent zip? Basically will probably chuck all my clothes into the bag, and all the harder items will go into my cabin bag and be check in, then I will take the bag of cloths and laptop backpack onto the plane with me.

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/13 02:12
I have bought several large cheap shoulderbags in Akihabara at Akky. (for around 1200-1500yen, they have several sizes and usually hang outside)

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@35.6992637,139.7713797,3a,75y,96.19h,9...

If all fails, try a large cardboard box? That must be the cheapest way :)
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/13 06:41
Lol thanks, yeah that probably is the cheapest way, using a cardboard box, I remember doing that 10 years ago, for bring snacks and food back to the UK from Canada, but that was when I had family to take us to the airport.

Would be hard to get a giant box, and cabin bag to the airport alone, even though Nippori has the Keisei Skyliner running directly to Narita termainal 2.

I will look into the shoulder bag, To be honest I have barely used my travel money in the last 9 days here, and I have another 5 remaining.

So was thinking on spurlging abit on Unique Japan Only snacks for my family back home.

Thats why getting a seperate bag for clothing items, and then putting the food items into my cabin bag.

Also if I do go with a cardboard box, can anyone one suggest where I can find them, I notice that Japan pretty much recycles everything, and I have not noticed any on the street.

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/13 16:25
I've seen peeps bringing large (card)boxes of fruit, ricecookers onto the plane. Don't know why I even worry about weight and size restrictions of my carry on luggage...

you should be able to buy boxes at the post office. if there's a supermarket nearby you could get em for free.

Still, I highly suggest getting those travelbags. They saved my life more than once.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/13 19:31
Thats reprezent. I plan to take a look when I get to Tokyo tomorrow.

Was stuck briefly in Kinosaki because of the typhoon, good thing the bus was running otherwise would not be back in Osaka at all tonight. Hope the rain gets weaker overnight.

Also need to get the gel ear phone plugs, I lost one when I was in Kinosaki.

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/14 02:17
There are plenty of places to buy luggage, but as with anywhere, if you want a cheap one, check out charity (thrift) shops and markets. Also 2nd hand ones on ebay/Craig's List that you can pay for and collect locally, or ask resident ex-pats.

The boxes from post offices are sold flat-big ones are 'interesting' to get back to your apartment on the train, and they aren't the easiest things to carry, being, well, box-shaped.

Factor in the ebay sell-on value and a suitcase will not seem so expensive.

Even so, it may be cheaper and easier to buy Japanese stuff from Japanese folk on ebay/Amazon etc than buying a case and giving yourself a hernia lugging it home. It may also be cheaper to throw out anything you don't need to take home - unwashed socks/shirts, to make space. I travel with very cheap clothes and dispose of most of them before returning, for extra space in the suitcase. It's not an ideal situation, but it makes sense for one-off trips. Check for clothes recycling collections.

Or post stuff home in those PO boxes. Japan Post SAL is cheap and reliable. It may cost less than a new suitcase (but sweets are quite heavy).

Do check for airline surcharges/import taxes.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/14 15:11
Its will be cheaper to bring it all back then to post it. Since I have an allowance to bring luggage onto the plane, and also it would be tax free, meaning no duty or import tax is incurred when I do send it back to the UK.

Re: Where to buy Cheap Large Luggage 23kg 2014/10/29 20:46
Thanks for all the help. I found a travellers bag for 1080 yen, So managed to use my Cabin Bag for all the harder and more delicate souvenirs and gifts and stuff I wanted to bring back.

reply to this thread