Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do you remember me? in Japanese 2014/10/12 04:44
I read a post online about someone wanting to know how to ask "do you remember me?" in a letter form.

The responses were:
Fine: Oboete imasu ka?(覚えていますか?)
Better: Watashi wo oboete imasu ka?(私を覚えていますか?)
Much better: Watashi no koto wo oboete imasu ka?(私のことを覚えていますか?)
Very polite/formal: Watashi no koto wo oboete irasshai masu ka?(私のことを覚えていらっしゃいますか?)

I am curious to know whether or not it would be the same in spoken form.
And which would be preferred when in general conversation.
by kireikoneko  

Re: Do you remember me? in Japanese 2014/10/12 12:57
Yes, it would be the same when spoken.

If you are talking with someone of the equal standing - let's say your former classmate (that you haven't met for some time) or former colleague, any of the first three would be fine, maybe the third one is better.

If you are talking with someone senior to you - let's say your former teacher or former boss, then the fourth one would be more suitable.

But I don't know the level of your Japanese, you don't have to force yourself with the last one if the honorifics are a bit complicated for you :)

If you are talking very informally with someone close to you, then you could go with the informal/casual speech, which would go like: 私のこと、覚えている?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Do you remember me? in Japanese 2014/10/12 13:14
Thank you very much!

It's true that my Japanese is not very advanced, so I'm not that good with high formal honorifics yet, but I always do my best to be respectful, so I will practice much more with this phrase before I use it when I return to Japan.

Thank you for the advice.
by kireikoneko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread