Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/12 16:13
Hi, I've been searching all over the internet to find answers of the following questions, yet there isn't any answers found.

I'll be grateful if anyone can answer my questions.

Questions:
1. Is it bad manners to share a Seafood Donburi with a friend?

2. If no, what's the right way on sharing a Seafood Donburi?

3. After eating shellfish and crabs, where should I leave the shells?

Thank You.
by ctayjs  

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/12 19:55
1. "Donburi" dishes are normally one bowl per person... so I would not really think of doing so (Japanese here).

2. If you must, I would ask for two plates for sharing, and scoop out two portions before you eat.

3. If it's crab restaurant, they would normally have a pot for placing the shells. If not, pile them up on the side of your own place, and ask for a new one if it gets full.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/12 19:59
How bout shellfish like clams and whelk?
(Restaurant and street stall)
by ctayjs rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/13 04:47
I've always been given an empty bowl to deposit the oyster or clam shells.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/13 05:18
A fish Donburi is designed for serving one by one basis. It bad manners to share one donburi with two or more people. If you go there with two people, then you need to order two donburi, three people three donburi.

Shellfish and crabs are normally cut in pieces and have no shell or shella carapace. If it's still on, just leave beside on the plate.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/13 06:01
If it's somebody you normally share plates with (like a spouse), then the first person can eat half of the donburi and then discreetly hand the bowl over to the second person to finish it up. However, this does not make it okay to go into a restaurant and only order one item for two people to share. The second person needs to order something different (and maybe can eat half of that and then swap with the first person).

In family behavior that I have witnessed, this doesn't seem to be considered bad manners (maybe these families were not properly schooled in etiquette) but you probably wouldn't want to do it with a casual acquaintance, just with a close family member or equivalent. (That would be more a function of level of closeness and not so much a matter of manners.)

I think it is worse manners to leave a half-eaten bowl of food, and therefore preferable to have your spouse finish it for you if you can't eat it all yourself.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/13 11:20
the manner you must follow is "do not disturb others".
if you pass your dishes in secret, it is OK.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Seafood Etiquette? 2014/10/13 11:28
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! ^^
by ctayjs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread