Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/24 08:11
is it okay to visit Japan?
I really plan to visit japan next year mybe in january or february, but since I've been reading some stuffs about japan and how the culture is I always notice the thing about people who have tattoos? I have a lot of tattoos in my chest my back and shoulders.. Im getting nervous on visiting Japan would I really get look at badly?
by minjiyamazaki  

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/24 11:34
If you're going in January and February you probably don't need to worry since it will be winter and you will be covered up! It would become an issue if you wanted to go to an onsen; some may understand that tattoos are regarded differently by foreigners, but most will turn you away. Standard travel should not be an issue as long as you don't flaunt your tattoos.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/24 21:51
Unless it's very prominent (i.e. covers most of your face), then I don't think you will have much of a problem. Many Japanese tend to go with the flow to avoid embarrassment, so some may notice but will probably say little if anything. As mentioned earlier, most of the time you will be covered because it is winter so you should not have too much to worry about. Also - most people are smart enough to realise that you come from a different culture so you will look different etc....

On the onsen thing - thats the only place where having a tattoo will be a problem. If you really want to visit an onsen, many more expensive onsen hotels allow you to rent a private onsen for an hour or so (2-4000 yen) which can allow you to have an onsen without other people and should not cause any problems...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/27 01:25
what if I decided to go in the summer? then it will be a problem???
by minjiyamazaki rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/27 07:10
Well if you walk around with your tattoos exposed you will certainly draw a lot of attention. But isn't that the reason you got a lot of tattoos in the first place?
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/28 12:53
Well if you walk around with your tattoos exposed you will certainly draw a lot of attention.

Not necessarily, unless they are particularly prominent, unusual, and/or exposed. Generally people don't really pay attention to tattoos on foreigners otherwise.

But isn't that the reason you got a lot of tattoos in the first place?

It's a common stereotype, but no you can't make that assumption.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/28 13:58
You'll be given a huge amount of leeway due to your gaijin status... much will be forgiven. Some beaches, like Kamakura have signs up saying no visible tattoos in the restaurants. You won't get kicked off the beach but they could hassle you in the restaurants if you're not covered up... not sure how strictly they would enforce that.... more of a anti-Yakuza thing....
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/28 20:47
I knew, it, who is this person that using my name seiko...lol

i remember seeing someone post a respond to another forum under the name seiko but i was like... "i don't remember posting message on this person forum.

Anyhow...
it should not matter if people see your tattoo or not. the only problem you would have like SQ said if you go into a onsen.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/10/29 08:25
I went to Japan last August and I have a fair few tattoos. I didn't have an issue with it at all. I was complimented on them a few times. However, I did dress in a way that wasn't showing them off, such as long skirts and light weight cardigans. I didn't have any problems, and if I went into a shop or restaurant etc, I made sure they were covered so as not to cause offence. I think as long as you're sensible about it, it'll be fine.
by Jennifer Mitchell rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/11/12 16:01
thanks guys tbh Im not the conservative type i like to wear tubes and dresses that shows my tattoos, but since ive been reading about japan I really needed to know on what to do i guess ill be wearing lots tshirt and jacket to hide my tattoo
by minjiyamazaki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting as a girl with a lot of tattoos 2014/11/12 16:08
And also im not japanese but I look so asian.. I wish I was more of foreigner looking so they wont mind me but Im getting nervous now since i always gets mistaken if i was japanese
by minjiyamazaki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread