Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Omoitakuhanai 2014/10/25 04:52
So, I know the verb omou but how is it used here?
思いたくはない。
can i use something like that form with every verb to express dont want to or something?

Some sentences examples might be useful.
Thanks in advance, any help apreciated.
by Fumichu (guest)  

Re: Omoitakuhanai 2014/10/25 15:19
So you know the "-tai" and "-takunai" (want to, and don't want to) forms?

思いたくはない。
...comes from 思いたくない, with the "は" added for emphasis/a bit of an added nuance, that "I don't want to think (this way), but (there is some suspicion)." "I don't want to think so, (but facts suggest otherwise)."

彼から連絡がないが、嫌われたと思いたくはない。
He hasn't contacted me, but I don't want to think that he no longer likes me (though I have my concern).

友達から今年は年賀状が来なかったが、何かあったとは思いたくはない。
A friend of mine did not send me New Year's greeting card, but I don't want to think that something happened (but I cannot brush off my doubt).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Omoitakuhanai 2014/10/25 20:16
Thanks once more, AK.
Yes I knew the omoitai, omoitakunai form but the は kind of confused me it seems.
Thanks for clearing this out!
by Fumichu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Omoitakuhanai 2014/10/25 23:42
You know that は is sometimes used to give contrast, or highlight something. So here it is used to say: I don't want to "think" so (but...)... this unsaid sentiment is in the back of the mind.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Omoitakuhanai 2014/10/26 10:13
those should be a part of a sentence.

xxxxx xxxxxと 思いたい.

negative form of 思いたい
xxxxx xxxxxと 思いたくない.
you only deny 思いたい(verb).

deny a whole sentence of [xxxxx xxxxxと 思いたい]
xxxxx xxxxxと 思いたく は ない.

the final results are mostly the same.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread