Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A small head? 2014/10/25 05:24
I`m currently in Nagano and whenever I meet Japanese ladies they usually say something like you are so tall your legs are so longs, you have such big eyes or how small my head is, nice hair(braids) and different other part of my body. I`m a tall and slim black girl and I knew I would stand out here but I didn`t expect this. Is it meant in a good way? how should I respond? I`ve been here only a few weeks my Japanese is not that good yet. Don`t want to be rude.
by haley (guest)  

Re: A small head? 2014/10/25 15:24
"Small head" is meant in a good way - that you have fabulous body proportions. Some Japanese women (not myself) are obsessed with the idea of having relatively small head/face that they would massage their cheeks to make them look slim and smaller, and cover their forehead in a way to give the illusion that the face/head is smaller :)
I admit it sounds somewhat strange... :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/25 18:56
Well, it certainly sounds to me like you're practically a super-model. Yes, they are saying everything they can to praise your beauty! You should go to the "Mixed couples in Japan" thread and encourage the OP! And yes, I excercise to make my head look smaller!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/25 21:17
I think it`s meant as a compliment, Japan is not diverse so they are use to seeing people that look like themselves that`s why you look exotic to them. Compliment them back too that`s what I used to do when I lived there.
by Byb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/26 03:56
It`s meant in a good way, I was confused too when I first came here. Every time I heard people talk about that small head thing I was confused, always thought my Japanese was too rusty.
by Nolan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/26 05:15
haha small head is definitely a good thing. I had a hell of a time when my friend came to NZ and I introduced her to people, she would often say the "small head" thing to the pretty girls. They always looked at me like, "um what?" so I had to gently explain to my friend that we don't often comment on people's individual features like that. She was quite surprised and said "Why? I wish I had a small face like that!"

As an Australian, people like tanned bodies right? Im ghostly and it took me a while to get use to the "You're so white!" in Japan.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/26 21:40
hey guys! thx for all your replies. I feel much better to know that they are positive comments.
UCO: You are right about the top model thing, both men and women are asking me if I`m a model. I`m 178cm and slim I guess I look very tall here.
Guest: you are right about the "you are so white" thing I get the "you are so tall" It will take some time to get used to it and the stares but I`m having so much fun. Aren`t Japanese people suppose to be shy or something? I honestly don`t see it, a lots of them are trying to talk to me in very little English they know, it`s so touching!
by haley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A small head? 2014/10/27 04:51
No worry you just looks like fashion model/idol singer/movie actress/TV star body.
"八頭身(8頭身):hattoushin(hachi-tou-shin)" is dream body propotion ratio
for most young Japanese as tall and slim with.
http://note.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/n4812

BTW,they said "a small head(atama chicchai[chiisai])" really?
They said no "kao chicchai[chiisai]" phrase?
"kao" means face (include "head" meaning)
"chicchai(chiisai)" means "(pretty) small".
Using "atama chicchai[chiisai]" phrase is not usual.
This is one of "nai-mono-nedari" thinking based.
http://www.jref.com/forum/threads/some-translation-help.38024/
http://urx.nu/doMQ

They(Japanese young girls/ladies) have crazy love hunter eyes
for finding and locking on "ike-men" fastest anywhere anytimes but "ike-jo",too.
http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/9-things-that-make-a...
"jo" means "woman(onna)".
"ike-men" and "ike-jo" are real human "god" and "world treasure"
talking/touching "god" make me happy quickly and felt good(special) energy charged.
Good(special) energy are "aura" instead usual you have a lot of "happy aura" maybe.

Also Nagano is NOT urban big city like Tokyo meets not so many foreigners usual.
You were very "rare-chara(cter)"as icon,too.
Japanese always looking for something new and rare. (item.product,news,foods and more)
by Emious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread