Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 01:40
I plan on studying abroad in Fall 2015 just for the semester. I really want to go to Tokyo because there is a lot to do there, but at the same time I'm worried I won't become fluent.

I've been studying Japanese for over 7 years now, and I've been told I'm fluent because I've dreamed in Japanese. There is a program I'm looking at in Tokyo, in which I would take 12 hours of Japanese courses (in Japanese) and then 2 more classes in English. However, I've been to Tokyo before, and there were numerous times when Japanese people would try to speak to me in English, even when I replied in Japanese.

I really want to become fluent (and when there I would try to only speak Japanese), and I really want to go to Tokyo, but I'm afraid if I do go to Tokyo that I won't become fluent. Does anyone have any experience with this?
by Rachel (guest)  

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 16:48
Not much information to go on...Where are you studying? A uni? A language school? What's your Japanese level(in terms of JLPT) right now? Having a dream in Japanese has nothing to do with fluency.

That same thing has happened to me too. Sometimes even broken English replied to grammatically correct Japanese. Annoying, but I guess nothing can really be done. Just continue to speak in Japanese until they get the message(as long as your Japanese isn't broken).

Fear of failure? Normally everybody has or will experience that at some point,
by CherryLemonLime rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 17:30
The people speaking to you in broken English when you speak Japanese are just random people on the street, perhaps also restaurant or hotel staff, etc. IMO that's really not a problem, you weren't going to have a real conversation anyway. Make some real Japanese friends instead.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Tell them to speak in Japanese 2014/11/8 18:51
Just tell them to speak in Japanese, and tell them that it's important for you.

When facing non-Japanese people, Japanese people tend to speak in English, because (A) they think it's a courtesy to speak in the mother language of the other party and (B) many people want to practice English.

I'm a Japanese resident and I keep on telling biligual Japanese friends that many non-Japanese people prefer to be spoken back in Japanese, and my friends wouldn't believe it.

Tell them that it's necessary. Tell them you need to practice conversation and that you only have a short time in Japan. Many will understand and switch to Japanese.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 21:13
When facing non-Japanese people, Japanese people tend to speak in English,

Where the heck are you guys meeting Japanese people who can speak English! I only encounter them on very rare occasions.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 23:18
Honestly, it's all based on your dedication to learning if you get better or not. I just had a friend come back from studying a semester in Tokyo, and I kid you not, he learned next to NOTHING.

The problem was he only stayed around campus, and since he was placed with other international students he never really got to practice Japanese. All because you are in Japan doesn't mean you're going to get better, it's all up to you.

I've been learning Japanese too for 7 years now and I'm at a JLPT 4 level studying for JLPT 3 now. Every time I've been to Japan I've been with homestay families since I'm forced to use Japanese everyday instead of ignoring it. So my best advice is if you do go to Tokyo, force yourself as much as possible to use the language, try to stay away from spending all of your time with the international students, and make your best effort to meet Japanese people so you will have others to talk to.

As for the Japanese people answering in English, I've only had that happen to me a few times in Tokyo and I think once in Hiroshima. You have to realize that these areas are very heavy with foreign tourists who don't speak Japanese so workers are just used to giving answers in English when they see a foreign person approaching. Trust me, if you go outside of the popular cities you won't find English very often.
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/8 23:25
Hi Rachel,

I think it is very hard to become fluent in one semester, but let that not stop you from trying.

My personal advice:
If your main goal is to become fluent, then don't go to Tokyo but a less international place. For many people Tokyo is tempting because of all the fun things to do, but it is also very easy to use English there (amount of foreign students/expats/international minded Japanese people, etc).
by Benny Ji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/9 00:16
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll keep what you guys have said in mind.
In terms of my Japanese, I studied at a language school for about 3 years before taking it in high school for 3 years (which was all review). I'm now taking it in college in the highest level class offered, and I passed level 4 before they changed it a few years ago (now working on 3).

Speaking of my class, there are 2 people in there that did my school's direct program with a school in Osaka. However, the classes are in English, and so even now I still speak better Japanese than them, which concerns me =/

Here is the program I was looking at
http://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/programs/tokyo-language-culture-...

I would still have to take 2 classes in English, and it's an international university.

I found one in Osaka that sounds more language-intensive than the posted one. However, I'm worried about the Osaka dialect. Is that something to really worry about or no?
by Rachel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/9 01:33
The current level 3 or the new level 3? Anyways, if you stopped after college you'd have a zero percent chance of being fluent at the end of fall 2015. If you're close to the new level 3 and you put in a few hours of study everyday(or almost everyday) until your departure, I'd say you MIGHT be able to do it. Don't let that deter you though. It's not just about being fluent.
by CherryLemonLime rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/9 02:17
Hi Rachel,

The Osaka dialect is nothing to worry about, because I am quite sure that teaching is done in appropriate Japanese. You might pick up some dialect here and there by living in Osaka, but that will only add to your vocabulary.
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/9 03:51
The classes should be fine. It's an international program so I'm sure they will be teaching standard speech in classes.

Even then, the Osaka dialect isn't too bad. I used standard speech when I visited and I didn't have a problem getting around. Also, everyone that I have met from Osaka has been super friendly so I don't think you have to be nervous about that stuff.

Also as someone mentioned above. I don't think you'll be able to become completely fluent over a period of one semester, but if you keep on studying and immerse yourself in Japanese when you get there I'm sure you'll be able to improve a lot.

My friend who did the program in Tokyo mentioned to me that a lot of the classes were pretty basic lessons and nothing very deep. When I visited him in Tokyo and looked over some of his homework, I would say it was at a JLPT 5 level. Since you're at a JLPT 4 level studying for 3, I would make sure to see if the classes will really benefit you instead of just being a long review session while you're there.
by xbutterxcupx rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/10 10:28
Hi Rachel,

I could recommend you the school where I`m studying currently. It has intensive courses 5 days per week and it`s in the center of Tokyo. The clases are in Japanese and most of the students are Asiatic, consequently they don`t speak English and I have to talk to them in Japanese. After 3 months I passed the JLPT exam N5 and only with the information I received at school because at home sincerly I barely studied (I started from zero). And the most important the school is not expensive at all and has a very nice design. Have a look (they are renewing the page for the moment but you can make an idea):
http://jclischool.com/

がんばって。
by Irina Stefan rate this post as useful

Re: Becoming fluent in Japanese in Tokyo 2014/11/10 11:56
日本人は、外国人とは世界共通語である英語で話すのがマナーだと思っていたり
相手が日本語で話してくると、無理をさせてしまっている、こちらの都合に合わさせてしまっていると、申し訳なく思うから、英語で話すだけですよ。
あなたの日本語が分かりづらいわけでもないですし、日本人は英語が苦手な人が多いので、友達になったら、普段の日常会話は、きっと全て日本語で話しかけてきますよ。
by こうたろう (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread